|Leader Name3:||Greg Ottenbreit|
|Leader Name4:||Garry Breitkruz|
|Area Total Km2:||24.57|
|Population As Of:||2006|
|Population Density Km2:||612.2|
|Website:||City of Yorkton|
A group of settlers from York County, Ontario, established a settlement in 1882. They had been recruited by the York Farmers Colonization Company, and originally founded York Colony about two miles north of the site of the modern city, on the banks of a small river.
The York Farmers Colonization Company, with Ontario Member of Parliament N. Clark Wallace as president, and a capital shareholders’ investment of $300,000 was incorporated May 12, 1882. Earlier in the year, a group of Toronto businessmen had met to discuss a plan to invest in the opening of lands for homesteading in Western Canada, specifically in the newly created Provisional Assiniboia, North West Territories.
During the Second World War, an airport was built north of the city for the RCAF's No. 11 Service Flying Training School, now operated as the Yorkton Municipal Airport.
Yorkton is home to a branch of the Saskatchewan Western Development Museumhttp://www.wdm.ca/, which houses a number of exhibits depicting pioneer life in the town and on the surrounding prairie. The museum includes an early pioneer log home and an extensive outdoor exhibit of agricultural machinery, including early tractors and steam engines.