The town was first mentioned in 1255.
According to the 2001 census, the town had 7,819 inhabitants. 95.89% of inhabitants were Slovaks, 2.17% Roma, 0.47% Czechs and 0.22% Hungarians. The religious makeup was 47.05% Roman Catholics, 25.71% Greek Catholics, 18.11% people with no religious affiliation and 1.83% Lutherans.
The town has a pharmacy, and outpatient health facilities of a general practitioner and children and adolescents. The town has a public library, a DVD rental store and a cinema. The town also has a post office, a petrol station, a garage, and a number of general and food stores. It also has a Slovakian commercial bank and insurance company.