|Pushpin Label Position:||right|
|Pop:||34,084 (2006 census)|
|Lga:||Queanbeyan City Council|
Queanbeyan is a regional centre in the Southern Tablelands in south-eastern New South Wales adjacent to the Australian Capital Territory. The city's mixed economy is based on light construction, high technology, manufacturing, service, retail and agriculture. It is the council seat of the Queanbeyan City Council. In 2006, Queanbeyan had a population of 34,084 people.
Following the founding of Canberra, Australia's federal capital, just 15km west, Queanbeyan has become an integral part of the capital city's economy. The word Queanbeyan is the anglicised form of 'Quinbean' - an Aboriginal word meaning "clear waters".
The town grew from a squattage held by ex-convict and inn keeper, Timothy Beard, on the banks of the Molonglo River in what is now Oaks Estate. The town centre of Queanbeyan is located on the Queanbeyan River, a tributary of the Molonglo River and about one mile east of Oaks Estate.
Queanbeyan was officially proclaimed a township in 1838 when the population was about 50. The local parish was also known by that name and later still the member for the electorate of Queanbeyan held a seat in the legislative assembly of the colony of NSW. On 28 November 1837 the Colonial Secretary announced the appointment of Captain Alured Tasker Faunce as resident police magistrate at Queanbeyan. His homestead, called Dodsworth, was situated on the banks of the Queanbeyan river opposite the town.
Traces of gold were discovered in 1851 and lead and silver mines also flourished briefly. Settlers were harassed by bushrangers, of which James Shaw, William Millet, and John Rueben, John Tennant, Jacky Jacky, Frank Gardiner and Ben Hall were some of the more notorious. In 1836, a Post Office was established.
The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Limited (CBC, now part of the National Australia Bank) opened in Queanbeyan on 19 September 1859. The Bank of New South Wales began service in Queanbeyan in 1878. The Golden Age (now The Queanbeyan Age) was Queanbeyan's first newspaper and was founded in 1860 by John Gale. In 1880 the residence of John James Wright, the first mayor of Queanbeyan, was constructed along the edge of the Queanbeyan River. In 1982 that building became the Queanbeyan Art Centre.
The Salvation Army claimed an outpost in Queanbeyan in 1884.
Queanbeyan, an increasingly successful primary producing district, was proclaimed a Municipality in February 1885 incorporating an area of 5,700 acres (23 km²). The railway reached Queanbeyan railway station in 1887 and it became the junction for the lines going to Canberra and Bombala. The town is served by the twice-daily Countrylink Xplorer service between Canberra and Sydney.
William James Farrer, the wheat experimentalist, established Queanbeyan's reputation as an agricultural district with his famous "Federation" rust-free strain, developed on his property "Lambrigg" at Tharwa. Farrer's work was only slowly recognised elsewhere in Australia, but local farmers supported him, particularly in his development of "Blount's Lambrigg", another strain which in 1889 gave hope to farmers after the disastrous season of 1887 when crops had failed after heavy Christmas rains.
At the height of its rural prosperity Queanbeyan boasted sixteen public houses and six flourmills powered by wind, water, horse and steam. The Royal Hotel on Monaro Street opened in 1926. Canberra was "dry" from 1911 at the time of the territory's foundation until 1928 when Federal Parliament had relocated from Melbourne. In that period many of the capital's residents crossed the border to drink at one of Queanbeyan's hotels.
Queanbeyan was granted city status on 7 July 1972. On 21 July 1975 the Queen's Bridge was opened. This bridge took pressure off the existing bridge in linking Monaro Street directly to the east. From 1982 to 1989, the Canberra Raiders rugby league team played their home games in Queanbeyan, at Seiffert Oval.
Queanbeyan is a regional centre providing the opportunity for people to work in Canberra and live in New South Wales. The city is home to a large shopping centre known as Riverside Plaza. Queanbeyan has most of the major fast food outlets including KFC and many speciality stores. Queanbeyan has two government high schools, Queanbeyan High and Karabar High. Queanbeyan primary schools include Queanbeyan South Public School, Queanbeyan West Public School, Queanbeyan East Public School, Queanbeyan Public School, Jerrabomberra Public School and St Gregory's Primary School. Queanbeyan has a major hospital, ambulance station, indoor and outdoor swimming pool, community centre, public library and several parks. There is no longer a cinema in Queanbeyan. Much of the growth of Queanbeyan is found in Jerrabomberra, this suburb being created in 1992 and now having a population of over 6000. The city is served by the privately owned bus company, Deane's Buslines. On 16 December 2006, level 3 water restrictions were introduced for the first time in Queanbeyan. Queanbeyan is protected by two fire services, NSWFB and a NSWRFS Volunteer Brigade (Queanbeyan City Brigade) 
Queanbeyan has two light manufacturing/industrial precincts centred on Gilmore Road and Yass Road. The Queanbeyan Solar Farm with 720 solar panels has a generating capacity of 50 kW, and is located in the Yass Road area.
Queanbeyan has a strong sporting culture. One of the major sports in Queanbeyan is Rugby League. The town has two teams, the Queanbeyan Blues and the Queanbeyan Kangaroos, of which the Blues is, as of 2006, the more powerful team. In addition Queanbeyan has a successful Australian Rules Football team, the Queanbeyan Tigers, and a successful Rugby Union team, the Queanbeyan Whites, who secured two premierships in 2007 by claiming the first grade and colts titles. Queanbeyan has fostered many rugby superstars including Ricky Stuart, David Campese, Matt Giteau, Matt Henjak, Anthony Faingaa and Saia Faingaa. Other sporting icons include Mark Webber, a Formula One driver, and local sporting heroes Terry Campese and Trevor Thurling who play for the local National Rugby League team the Canberra Raiders.
The Queanbeyan Show, which started over 100 years ago, is held annually at the Queanbeyan Showgrounds in November over two days. There are equestrian events, a sideshow alley, art and craft displays, cooking exhibits, an agricultural pavilion and livestock exhibitions. Also held is a Showgirl, Miss Junior Showgirl and Tiny Tots competition.
In February, the Queanbeyan Showgrounds play host to the annual "Convoy for Kids" to aid cancer research. The event is widely supported by community groups, regional businesses and the emergency services. The event attracts hundreds of commercial vehicles, trucks, prime movers and bushfire brigade vehicles. The highlight of the afternoon is the sounding of horns, which can be heard for miles around. Other regular events throughout the year include the Rodeo in March, Field Days, and a camping and off-road vehicle show.
On 3 December, Queanbeyan hosts an annual Festival of Ability as part of the Don't DIS my ABILITY campaign, celebrating International Day of Persons with Disabilities. The event attracts more than 3,500 people and is a a community celebration, acknowledging the strengths, skills and achievements of people with a disability in the Queanbeyan region.
In March 2008, the Queanbeyan Performing Arts Centre - the Q - became the new home for the Queanbeyan Players who have provided over thirty years of live theatre and dramatic entertainment for the Queanbeyan community.
|Average high (°C)||29.8||28.5||25.6||20.6||15.9||12.5||11.8||13.7||17.3||20.7||24.4||27.6||20.6|
|Average low (°C)||12.7||12.9||10.7||6.6||3.3||0.9||-0.2||0.9||3.3||6.0||8.9||11.4||6.4|
|Average precipitation (mm)||56.2||49.0||51.1||44.8||45.0||44.0||39.5||44.4||47.9||60.3||57.9||53.0||593.2|
Source: Australian Bureau of Meteorology