Occidental means generally "western". It is a traditional designation (especially when capitalized) for anything belonging to the Occident or "West" (for Europe and the New World), and especially of its Western culture.
The term, sometimes abbreviated to "Occ.", was used in historical astronomy to indicate the western direction on the celestial globe, together with Meridional ("Mer.") for southern, Oriental ("Ori.") for eastern and Septentrional ("Sep.") for northern.
Occidental may also refer to:
- Occidental, California, a town in Sonoma County, California
- Occidental Mindoro, a province of the Philippines located in the MIMAROPA region in Luzon
- Negros Occidental, a province of the Philippines located in the Western Visayas region
- Occidental language, a constructed language
- Occidental College, located in Los Angeles, California
- Occidental Petroleum, an American oil company
- Western culture, cultures of European origin
Notes and References
- Hooke, Robert. 1666. Volume 1. Philosophical Transactions