Middlesex County, Ontario Explained
|Official Name:||Middlesex County|
|Settlement Type:||County |
|Seat Type:||County seat|
|Area Footnotes:|| |
|Area Land Km2:||3317.15 |
|Area Land Sq Mi:||1280.76|
|Population As Of:||2006|
|Population Density Km2:||127.3|
|Population Density Sq Mi:||329.8|
|Utc Offset Dst:||-4|
Middlesex County is a census division located in Western Ontario. The administrative centre of the county is the city of London, though the city is now separated from the jurisdiction of the county. The population of the county in 2006 was 422,333, of which 70,000 live outside of the city of London but the entire county is within the London census metropolitan area.
In the Canada 2006 Census, Middlesex was the 16th largest census division in Canada by population, and the largest census division in Canada with county status.
Towns and cities in Middlesex County include:
- City of London (separated)
- Old London East (Formerly their own Incorporated town (Annexed by London 1885
- Wortley Village (annexed by London in 1890)
- Petersville (Kensington) (annexed by London in 1897)
- Byron (annexed by London in 1961)
- Broughdale (annexed by London in 1961)
- Masonville (annexed by London in 1961)
- Lambeth (annexed by London in 1993)
- Westminster (annexed by London in 1993)
- Hyde Park (annexed by London)
- Crumlin (annexed by London)
- Fanshawe (annexed by London)
- Brockley (annexed by London)
- Scottsville (annexed by London)
- Township of Adelaide-Metcalfe
- Communities: Adelaide, Crathie, Dejong, Kerwood, Keyser, Mullifarry, Napier, Napperton, Springfield, Walkers and Wrightmans Corners.
- Township of Lucan Biddulph
- Communities: Biddulph, Clandeboye, Granton, Lucan.
- Township of Middlesex Centre
- Communities: Arva, Ballymote, Birr, Bryanston, Coldstream, Delaware, Denfield, Duncrief, Elginfield, Ettrick, Ilderton, Ivan, Kilworth, Komoka, Littlewood, Lobo, Lobo Siding, Maple Grove, Melrose, Poplar Hill, Sharon, Southgate, Southwold, Telfer and Vanneck.
- Municipality of North Middlesex (township)
- Communities:Ailsa Craig, Beechwood, Bornish, Bowood, Brinsley, Carlisle, Corbett, Greenway, Hungry Hollow, Lieury, Moray, Mount Carmel, Nairn, Parkhill, Sable, Springbank, Sylvan and West McGillivray.
- Municipality of Southwest Middlesex (township)
- Communities: Appin, Ekfrid, Glencoe, Lewis Corners, Macksville, Mayfair, Newbury Station, North Appin Station, North Ekfrid, North Glencoe Station, Riverside, Strathburn, Tate Corners, Wardsville and Woodgreen.
- Township of Strathroy-Caradoc
- Communities: Cairngorm, Campbellvale, Caradoc, Christina, Falconbridge, Glen Oak, Longwood, Melbourne, Mount Brydges, Muncey and Strathroy.
- Municipality of Thames Centre (township)
- Communities: Belton, Cherry Grove, Crampton, Cobble Hill, Derwent, Devizes, Dorchester, Evelyn, Fanshawe Lake, Friendly Corners, Gladstone, Harrietsville, Kelly Station, Mossley, Nilestown, Oliver, Plover Mills, Salmonville, Silvermoon, Thorndale, Three Bridges and Wellburn.
- Village of Newbury
- Web site: Community highlights for Middlesex. 2007-12-28. 2006.