Mewburn Ellis LLP is a limited liability partnership and is one of the UK's largest firms of Chartered Patent Attorneys, European Patent Attorneys, European Trade Mark Attorneys and European Design Attorneys, with offices in London, Bristol, Manchester and Cambridge.
It has around 44 qualified patent and trade mark attorneys, including 22 partners.
The firm’s biotechnology and pharmaceutical practice is perhaps the largest in Europe and other main practice areas include electronics, computing, telecommunications, mechanical engineering, chemistry and trade marks.
The firm of Mewburn Ellis LLP has its roots in the partnership of John Clayton Mewburn and George Beloe Ellis which was formed in the 1890s under the name of Mewburn Ellis & Co. John Mewburn Clayton was a signatory of the Royal Charter granted to the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys in 1891 . Since that time, six members of the Ellis family have been partners in the firm, including George Ellis's daughter, Margaret Dixon, who was the first woman to practise as a UK patent agent. The last of the Ellis family to work in the firm retired in 1988, although the firm still bears the name of the founding partners .