|Pushpin Label Position:||bottom|
|Subdivision Name2:||Malbork County|
|Subdivision Name3:||Malbork (urban gmina)|
|Leader Name:||Andrzej Rychłowski|
|Established Title3:||Town rights|
|Elevation Min M:||6|
|Elevation Max M:||30|
|Area Total Km2:||17.15|
|Population As Of:||2006|
|Population Density Km2:||auto|
|Utc Offset Dst:||+2|
|Postal Code Type:||Postal code|
|Postal Code:||82-200 to 82-210|
|Area Code:||+48 055|
|Blank Name:||Car plates|
Malbork (German: Marienburg in Westpreußen; Latin: Civitas Beatae Virginis) is a town in northern Poland in the Żuławy region, with 41,000 inhabitants (2001). Situated in the Pomeranian Voivodeship since 1999, it was previously assigned to Elbląg Voivodeship (1975-1998). It is the capital of Malbork County.
See main article: Malbork Castle. The town was built in Prussia around the fortress Ordensburg Marienburg which was founded in 1274 on the east bank of the river Nogat by the Teutonic Knights. Both the castle and the town of Marienburg (rendered in Polish as Malborg or Malbork) were named for their patron saint, the Virgin Mary. This fortified castle became the seat of the Teutonic Order and Europe's largest Gothic fortress. During the Thirteen Years War, the castle of Marienburg was pawned by the Teutonic Order to their imperial soldiers from Bohemia. They sold the castle in 1457 to King Casimir IV of Poland in lieu of their pay. This separated the castle from the city in political terms, as the citizens resisted take-over by Poland ,  .
Under continuous construction for nearly 230 years, the castle complex is actually three castles nested in one another. A classic example of a medieval fortress, it is the world’s largest brick castle and one of the most impressive of its kind in Europe. The castle was in the process of being restored when World War II broke out. During the war, the castle was over 50% destroyed. Restoration has been ongoing since the war. However, the main cathedral in the castle, fully restored just prior to the war and destroyed during the war, remains in its ruined state. The castle and its museum are listed as UNESCO's World Heritage Sites.
The town of Marienburg grew in the vicinity of the castle. The river Nogat and flat terrain allowed easy access for barges a hundred kilometers from the sea. During Prussia's government by the Teutonic Knights, they collected tolls on river traffic and imposed a monopoly of the amber trade. The town later became a member of the Hanseatic League, and many Hanseatic meetings were held there.
When during the Thirteen Years' War the castle was pawned to imperial Bohemian soldiers, they sold it to the king of Poland in 1457. The Teutonic Knights left the castle. The town of Marienburg under Mayor Bartholomäus Blume and others resisted the Poles for three further years. When the Poles finally took control, Blume was hanged and quartered, fourteen officer and three knights with retainers were thrown into dungeons, where they met with a miserable end. . A monument to him was erected in 1864.
The town became part of the Polish province Royal Prussia after the Second Peace of Thorn (1466). It was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia in the First Partition of Poland in 1772 and made part of the Province of West Prussia the following year. Marienburg became part of the German Empire in 1871. According to the Treaty of Versailles after World War I the inhabitants were asked whether they want to remain in Germany or join the Second Polish Republic by the East Prussian plebiscite on July 11, 1920. In the town of Marienburg 9.641 votes were given to "East Prussia", 165 votes for Poland . Based on that result Marienburg was included in the Regierungsbezirk Marienwerder within the German Province of East Prussia.
The town was hit by economic crisis following end of the WW1. After a brief recovery the Great depression was particularly severe in East Prussia. In 1933 the Nazi Party gained power in Germany and persecutions of Jews started (54% of voting for Nazi party in elections 1933 ). After the German invasion of Poland in September 1939 leaders of Polish minority were arrested and sent to concentration camps. Later many local Poles were executed in Piasnica massacre ; others tried to keep low profile.
In the end of World War II Marienburg was declared a Festung, most of the civilian population fled or was evacuated, except some 4000 people. In early 1945 the town was the scene of fierce battles and almost completely destroyed. The battle lasted until March 9, 1945  and following the military capture by the Red Army the remaining civilian population disappeared - 1840 persons were lost. In June 1945 the town was passed to Polish authorities that came to the town already in April.
After 178 corpses had been found in a massgrave in 1996 and another 123 in 2005 , in October 2008 a grave of some 1,900 Germans  who remained in the city was found, all of them were buried naked  and without metal dental fillings . Between "several dozen" and about 10 percent  were found to have been shot in the head. The identity of the people; women, children and men, and the exact cause of their death remains unknown although it is believed to be the work of the Soviet Red Army. When forensic scientist have completed their study, the bones will be reburied with dignity. . The town was populated with Poles; many themselves expellees from Polish areas annexed by the Soviet Union. In February 1946 population of the town reached 10.017 people.
Malbork is twinned with: