List of UML tools explained
This article lists Unified Modeling Language tools, classified by their proprietary or non-proprietary status.
Comparison of non-proprietary UML tools
|Name||Creator||OS||First public release||Latest stable version||Software license||Open source|
|Acceleo||Obeo||cross-platform (Java / Eclipse)||2006-03||2.5.1||EPL||Yes|
|BOUML||Bruno Pagès||cross-platform (C++/Qt)||2005-02-26||4.11||GPL||Yes|
|Eclipse UML2 Tools||Eclipse Foundation?||cross-platform (Java)||Planning||1.1 Planned||GPL?||Yes?|
|Jink UML||Nether||cross-platform (Java)||2008-12-11||.745||MIT||Yes|
|Modelio Free Edition||Modeliosoft||Windows||2009||1.0||?||Yes|
|StarUML||Plastic Software||Windows||2005-11-01||5||GPL, modified||Yes|
|Umbrello UML Modeller||Umbrello Team||Linux||2006-09-09||2.0.0||GPL||Yes|
|Frame UML||Frame||Windows||2009-01-09||2.x.x||GPL V3||Yes|
|Name||Programming language used||Approach||Languages generated||Reverse engineered languages||Integrated with|
|Acceleo||Java||MDA, template||JEE, C#, Java, PHP, Python.||Eclipse, EMF|
|Modelio||Java, C++ core||full UML2 support; integrated BPMN support. XMI import; HTML and MS-Word document generation.||Java, C#, C++, XSD, WSDL||Eclipse, EMF|
|StarUML||Plug-in architecture: C++, Delphi, C#, VB,||C#|
|Eclipse UML2 Tools||Java||Java (or Eclipse project supported?)||Java (or Eclipse project supported?)||Eclipse|
|Umbrello UML Modeller||C++, KDE||C++, Java, Perl, PHP, Python... 16||C++, IDL, Pascal/Delphi, Ada, Python, Java; import XMI, RoseMDL||KDE?|
|TopCased||Java||MDA and lots of featrues like scripting and simulators||Java, Python, C++||Afull and Powerfull tool that you can write model transformations, run stae diagram simulation and do reverse and direct||Java code generation from the model,Eclipse, EMF|
List of non-proprietary UML tools
Eclipse and EMF template-based system for source-code generation from UML models.
http://amateras.sourceforge.jp/cgi-bin/fswiki_en/wiki.cgi?page=AmaterasUML a Java-based open source free UML modelling tool, follows the UML standard. Can forward and reverse engineer Java code. Eclipse Public License -v 1.0 EPL .
argouml.tigris.org a Java-based open source free UML modelling tool, closely follows the UML standard. Can reverse engineer Java codehttp://argouml.tigris.org/features.html#reveng (Plugins available for other languages, inc. c#). BSD license.
a platform-independent UML-tool for C++, based on wxWidgets.
- ATL - a tool which can transform UML models into other models. Available from the Eclipse M2M project (Model to Model).
multi-platform UML 2.0 toolbox. Can generate C++/Java/IDL/PHP/Python and reverse engineer C++/Java/PHPhttp://bouml.free.fr/doc/index_phpreverse.html. Very high performance (written in C++ with Qt). Licensed under the GNU GPL.
a C/C++ Uml modeling tool under zlib/libpng license.
a GTK+/GNOME diagramming tool that also supports UML (licensed under the GNU GPL)
with Eclipse Modeling Framework (EMF) and UML 2.0 (meta model without GUI) projects.
GUI for the Eclipse UML2 Implementation with 5 diagram types
Graphical UML Editor plugin for Eclipse based on Eclipse UML2Tools that supports Python roundtrip, views and live validation
Acronym for "From UML to Java And Back Again". Allows modeling behaviour using story diagrams.
a GTK+/GNOME UML 2.0 modeling environment written in Python
An interactive theorem proof environment for UML/OCL (licensed under the GNU GPL).
Easy to use UML Tool for Java (licensed under MIT).
part of the KOffice project
a tool for metrics-based quality-analysis and better comprehension of UML models
based on the Mono, GTK+ and ExpertCoder. Can reverse engineer executables and .NET assemblies.
available in NetBeans 6.0 full edition, or as a downloadable plugin in Plugin Manager, or with NetBeans IDE 5.5 Enterprise Pack
open source UML modeling tool (licensed under the GNU GPL).
an open source UML2 tool based on Eclipse and licensed under the EPL (www.papyrusuml.org). See also Topcased below.
an open-source UML/MDA platform for Microsoft Windows, licensed under a modified version of GNU GPL, mostly written in Delphi
model-driven architecture "on rails" (licensed under the GNU LGPL)
open-source UML 2 diagramming tool implemented in Java, requiring Java SE 6 or later (licensed under the GNU GPL)
- TextUML Toolkit: a tool for creating UML 2.1 models using a textual notation (EPL).
www.topcased.org Set of eclipse-based open source model editors, transformation and formal verification tools. Modelling languages include SysML. Development sponsored by European aerospace manufacturers. A merge with Papyrus is in preparation (2007).
tool which adapts SWITCH-technology for UML notation. Ideas and description can be found in http://is.ifmo.ru/articles_en/_ProCom6_07GurovLO.pdf.
part of KDE. Forward- and reverse-engineering for C++/Java/Perl/PHP/Python and other programming languages.
a .NET based UML tool supporting generation of C# code
a UML modeller written in C++/wxWidgets (licensed under the GNU GPL)
a UML tool for PalmOS
an open source tool suite, which allows the declarative specification and drawing of UML class and sequence diagrams.
a Java-based UML tool (licensed under the GNU GPL)
a use cases management tool (licensed under the GNU LGPL)
an easy-to-use Java-based UML Editor; fully integrated into Eclipse; licensed under the GNU GPL
an open source tool that transforms, simulates and executes models developed using third-party UML 2.0 modelers
Proprietary UML tools
Potential users can freely download versions of most of the following tools; such versions usually impose limits in capability and/or by a time-period.
- AgileJ StructureViews: custom reverse-engineered class-diagrams — Java/Eclipse/XP. (Formerly marketed as "Modelistic".)
- Altova UModel: GUI UML editor, supports UML 2.1, code engineering in Java, C#, and Visual Basic, imports and exports XMI
- Apollo for Eclipse:supports UML 2.0 and Java 5. Integrates with the Eclipse IDE
- ARTiSAN Studio: supports UML 2.0 and SysML
- BLU AGE: an MDA compliant software workbench that enables 100% automated transformation of your UML 2.X diagrams into Java EE and .Net Enterprise business applications.
- Blueprint Software Modeler: An integrated software-modeling environment with UML 2.1 modeling, OCL 2.0, meta-modeling and profiles; based on Eclipse
- Borland Together: UML modelling tool, integrated with Eclipse and with MS VS.NET 2005. Supports UML 2.0 and MDA, OCL, MOF.
- Cadifra UML Editor: UML diagram editor for Windows
- CaseComplete: Use Case and Requirements management tool including Use Case diagrams
- ConceptDraw 7: diagramming tool for Windows and Mac, supports UML 2.0
- Enterprise Architect – UML 2.1 tool with forward- and reverse-engineering and integration with Visual Studio 2005 and Eclipse. Extensible through addins and modeling technologies.
- eRequirements: free web-based requirements-management tool
- GatherSpace: Online/On-Demand Use Case and Requirements Management
- Gliffy: Desktop application feel in a web-based UML diagramming solution
- idungu: web-based UML diagramming solution
- JUDE: object-oriented analysis and design with UML and Mindmap. JUDE/Community, though free to use, does not provide open source.
- Konesa: Canyon Blue's collaborative modelling tool
- MacA&D: UML and requirements-management for Mac OS X
- MagicDraw UML: UML 2.0 tool with forward- and reverse-engineering and support for many plugin products for MDA. Integrates with many IDEs, including Eclipse and NetBeans. Supports SysML.
- MasterCraft (software): a suite of tools from Tata Consultancy Services Limited which support object-oriented analysis and design using UML for development of MDA-based application-software. The tool-suite consists of IDE-based modelers which allow for UML-based modeling.
- Metamill: a round-trip UML tool for C++, C# and Java. Runs under Windows and Linux.
- MicroGOLD WithClass: UML modeling tool that can generate code and reverse engineer C++, Java, Delphi, VB, IDL, Perl, PHP, C#, and VB.net. Works with EJB.
- Microsoft Visio:– a diagramming tool that also supports UML
- MyEclipse: An Eclipse-based IDE. Professional Edition includes UML solutions.
- Modelio: complete modeling coverage - UML2, BPMN, Enterprise Architecture, Requirements, MDA. Unlimited free modeling edition. Java roundtrip starts at € 100. Teamwork version integrated to SubVersioN. download free version
- North State Software: NSF is a highly extensible, software development framework for implementing UML 2.0 State Machines, including run-time engine with threading, timer, and trace utilities.
- Objecteering: provides complete coverage of model-driven development (UML 2.0, MDA). A free (as in beer) edition is available.
- OmniGraffle: for Mac OS X.
- OptimalJ: a model-driven development environment for Java.
- Pacestar UML Diagrammer: supports UML 2.0
- Poseidon for UML: commercial version of ArgoUML - supports UML 2.0
- PowerDesigner: by Sybase; supports UML 2.0, data-modeling, business-process modeling - round trip engineering
- Rational Rose: by Rational Software (sold to IBM in 2003); supports UML 1.x.
- Rational Rose XDE: an "eXtended Development Environment" in the tradition of Rational Rose; supports UML 1.x
- Rational Software Architect: Eclipse-based UML 2.0 tool by the Rational Division of IBM
- SDMetrics: a UML-design quality-measurement and design-rule-checking tool
- Select Architect: a BPM/UML/MDA platform for Microsoft Windows, running on a scalable repository it integrates with Eclipse and VS.NET
- sinelaboreRT - generates human readable c-code from state-charts especially targeting embedded systems
- SmartDraw: UML-diagram tool for Microsoft Windows
- System Architect: supports UML integrated with other notations and methods in an Enterprise Architecture environment.
- Telelogic Rhapsody: supports UML 2.0 and SysML for embedded and real-time systems markets
- Telelogic TAU: supports UML 2.0 and SysML
- TopCoder UML Tool tool designed and developed entirely by the TopCoder Community to model sequence, class, use case, and activity diagrams. Free and open-source but with a specific license agreement
- Trace Modeler: an easy-to-use and smart editor for UML sequence diagrams. It's lightweight, portable and ensures diagrams are always visually pleasing and structurally correct. 30 sec demo.
- Use Case Studio: a use-case authoring tool by Rewritten Software. Free for educational use.
- Visustin: reverse-engineers UML activity-diagrams and flow-charts
- Visual Paradigm for UML: supports UML 2.1, data modeling, business modeling and reverse engineering of source code and databases
- WinA&D: UML and requirements management for Microsoft Windows
- yalips: modeling tool that also supports brainstorming and gantt project management
- Visual Use Case: Use Case and Diagramming tool
- Model Realization: A Java code generation tool. It supports UML 2.0 and Java 5
- Zeligsoft CX: An adaptive, non-prescriptive toolkit utilizing domain-specific modeling and code generation. An Eclipse plugin.