List of British Jews explained
List of British Jews is a list that includes Jewish people from the United Kingdom and its predecessor states.
Although the first Jews may have arrived on the island of Great Britain with the Romans, it was not until the Norman Conquest of William the Conqueror in 1066 that organised Jewish communities first appeared in England. These existed until 1290 when the Jewish population of England was expelled by King Edward I of England.
There was never a corresponding expulsion from Scotland. The eminent scholar David Daiches states in his autobiographical Two Worlds: An Edinburgh Jewish Childhood that there are grounds for saying that Scotland is the only European country with no history of state persecution of Jews.
Jews were re-admitted to England and Wales in 1656 by Oliver Cromwell. Slightly more than 200 years later, in 1858 they were emancipated, that is, accepted as full citizens. In the late 19th century, there was mass Jewish immigration to England from Russia due to Russian domestic policy. In the 1930s, the country accepted many refugees from Nazism. The Jewish population peaked at 450,000, but has since declined due to low birth-rate, intermarriage and emigration, mainly of the younger generation to Israel. According to the 2001 census, the current population is around 295,000, most of whom live in London.
The following is a list of some prominent British Jewish people.
See List of British Jewish scientists, which includes economists.
Sam Couch- Chief beak experimenter from Oakfield, 2011.
- David Abulafia, Professor of history, University of Cambridge (JYB 2005 p218)
- Geoffrey Alderman, historian
- Richard David Barnett, museum curator and archaeologist (JYB 1985 p187)
- Max Beloff, Lord Beloff, historian (Encyclopaedia Judaica, art. Historians)
- David Cesarani, Historian
- Norman Cohn, historian (JYB 2005 p215)
- Isaac Deutscher http://www.deutscherprize.org.uk/Isaac%20&%20Tamara%20Deutscher.htm, historian
- Geoffrey Rudolph Elton http://www.sussex.ac.uk/cgjs/1-2-2.html, historian
- Samuel Finer
- Sir Moses I. Finley, historian and sociologist
- Sir Martin Gilbert, historian
- Sir Ernst Gombrich http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/arts/story/0,9848,587946,00.html, art historian
- Martin Goodman (historian) (JYB 2005 p215)
- Philip Guedalla, biographer
- Eric Hobsbawm, historian & communist theoretician
- Albert Montefiore Hyamson, zionist and historian
- Jonathan Israel, historian (JYB 2005 p215)
- Joseph Jacobs http://www.northern.edu/hastingw/jacobs.htm, editor of the Jewish Encyclopedia
- Lisa Jardine, historian 
- Tony Judt http://as.nyu.edu/object/tonyjudt.html Director of the Erich Maria Remarque Institute at New York University.
- Elie Kedourie, historian and political scientist
- Otto Kurz, historian (JYB 1975 p214)
- Bernard Lewis http://www.aish.com/jewishissues/middleeast/Bernard_Lewis_Unplugged.asp, historian
- David Malcolm Lewis, professor of history, University of Oxford (JYB 1995 p. 193)
- Hyam Maccoby, professor of history http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20040504/ai_n12778519
- Sir Philip Magnus, 1st Baronet, educationalist and politician
- Sir Philip Magnus-Allcroft, 2nd Baronet, biographer
- Shula Marks, expert on African history (JYB 2005 p. 215)
- Arnaldo Momigliano, professor of history, University College London (JYB 1985 p188)
- Lewis Bernstein Namier http://www.factmonster.com/ce6/people/A0834786.html, historian (converted to Anglicanism)
- Sir Francis Palgrave (born Cohen) (1768–1861) http://www.fromoldbooks.org/Wood-NuttallEncyclopaedia/p/palgravesirfrancis.html, UK historian
- Sir Michael Postan, historian (JYB 1985 p188)
- Cecil Roth http://www.jhom.com/personalities/dona_gracia/roth.htm, historian and editor of the Encyclopaedia Judaica
- Donald Sassoon, historian 
- Simon Schama http://www.age-of-the-sage.org/history/historian/Simon_Schama.html, historian
- Leonard Schapiro, historian
- Simon Sebag Montefiore http://www.randomhouse.com/vintage/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781400076789&view=qa, historian
- Charles Singer, historian of science
- Sir Aurel Stein http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0295977302, archeologist
- Barry Supple, British economic historian (Jewish Year Book, 2005, p. 215)
- Geza Vermes http://www.abc.net.au/rn/relig/spirit/stories/s47729.htm
"Five years or so later, I decided to define publicly my identity as belonging to the Jewish community by becoming a member of the Liberal Jewish Synagogue."
- Sir George Alberti, President, Royal College of Physicians
- Asher Asher, first Scottish Jewish doctor
- Henry Cohen, 1st Baron Cohen of Birkenhead, President of the Royal Society of Medicine
- Julius Dreschfeld, medical researcher
- Sir Ian Gainsford, dentist (JYB 2007 p. 197, 222)
- Sir Abraham Goldberg, Regius Professor of Medicine, University of Glasgow, 1923–2007, Times Obituary, 17 October 2007
- Max Hamilton, psychiatrist
- Rodrigo Lopez (physician)
- John Henry Marks Guardian, Saturday October 23, 1999, chairman of the British Medical Association.
- Sir Jonathan Miller http://www.granta.com/extracts/159, physician and theatre director
- Leslie Turnberg, Baron Turnberg http://188.8.131.52/search?q=cache:Fr_qNxEwfMsJ:usajewish.com/scripts/usaj/paper/Article.asp%3FArticleID%3D787+%22Leslie+Turnberg%22+Jewish&hl=en, Professor: FMedSci
- Oliver Zangwill, Professor of psychology (JYB 1980 p182)
- Lord Robert Winston, Medical doctor, politician, and television personality
- Samuel Alexander http://www.art.man.ac.uk/RELTHEOL/JEWISH/EXHIBITION/11Alexander.html, professor of philosophy at Manchester, born in Australia, the first Jewish fellow of an Oxbridge college
- Sir Alfred Ayer http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~uctytho/terrnochangeEngl.html, philosopher, populariser of logical positivism (Jewish mother)
- Sir Isaiah Berlin http://www.age-of-the-sage.org/history/historian/Isaiah_Berlin.html, political philosopher
- Max Black, philosopher
- Alain de Botton, Swiss-British Jewish philosopher.
- Gerald Cohen, Oxford professor of philosophy (JYB 2005 p215)
- Laurence Jonathan Cohen, Oxford professor of philosophy (JYB 2005 p215)
- Ernest Gellner http://lucy.ukc.ac.uk/Gellner/CHann.html, philosopher, social scientist
- H. L. A. Hart http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-927497-5?view=lawview, legal philosopher
- Brian Klug http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/02/05/njews105.xml, historian & communist theoretician
- Stephan Korner, Bristol professor of philosophy (JYB 2005 p215)
- Imre Lakatos, Hungarian-born philosopher
- Alexander Piatigorskyhttp://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/05/alexander-piatigorsky-obituary, philosopher, Buddhologist, writer.
- Sir Karl Popper http://www.britac.ac.uk/pubs/src/popper/part1.html, philosopher of science (family became Lutheran)
- Jonathan Romain, minister of maindenhead Jewish community and leader of the British reform movement
- Richard Rudolf Walzer (JYB 1975 p214)
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, philosopher – Jewish grandparents on both sides of the family who had converted to Christianity in the 19th century. He was christened, raised and eventually buried as a Catholic.
- Richard Wollheim http://www.waywiser-press.com/wollheim.html
"Wollheim was an outstanding representative of a generation of Central European Jewish intellectuals"
See List of British Jewish scientists
- Roy Clive Abraham, linguist
- Michael Balint http://www.whonamedit.com/doctor.cfm/1298.html, psychoanalyst (converted to Unitarianism)
- Zygmunt Bauman http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,12084,929598,00.html, sociologist
- Basil Bernstein http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/index/DR7JQQP6UTXFG2CK.pdf, linguist
- Vernon Bogdanor, professor of politics (JYB 2005 pp215,223)
- Georgina Born, anthropologist (daughter of Gustav Victor Rudolf Born)
- Gerald Cohen, Professor of Social and Political Theory (JYB 2005 p215)
- Norbert Elias, sociologist
- Herman Finer, political scientist
- Samuel Finer, political scientist
- Sir Moses I. Finley, historian and sociologist
- Meyer Fortes, anthropologist (JYB 1980 p183)
- Eduard Fraenkel, philologist 
- Anna Freud http://www.webster.edu/~woolflm/annafreud.html, child psychoanalyst
- Norman Geras http://eis.bris.ac.uk/~plcdib/imprints/normangerasinterview.html, professor of Government
"You are a Jewish, Zimbabwean, Mancunian philosopher... I have lived in Manchester more than half my life and am very much at home here."
- Morris Ginsberg http://library-2.lse.ac.uk/archives/handlists/Ginsberg/m.html
- Max Gluckman, anthropologist (JYB 1975 p213)
- Theodor Goldstücker, orientalist
- Jean Gottmann, professor of geography, Oxford University
- Julius Gould, sociologist (JYB 2005 p249)
- David Graham, demographer
- Frank H. Hahn, economist
- Paul Hirst http://www.guardian.co.uk/obituaries/story/0,3604,981060,00.html, social theorist (Jewish mother)
- Marie Jahoda http://www.jinfo.org/Sociologists.html, psychology of discrimination
- Melanie Klein http://www.webster.edu/~woolflm/klein2.html, psychotherapist
- Paul Klemperer, economist
- Geoffrey Lewis Lewis, professor of Turkish (JYB 2005 p215)
- Steven Lukes, political scientist (JYB 2005 p215)
- Ashley Montagu http://montagunocircpetition.org/montagu-bio.pg, anthropologist & humanist
- Nikolas Rose, Martin White Professor Sociology, LSE.
- Isaac Schapera, anthropologist (JYB 2005 p215)
- Roger Silverstone, first professor of Media Sociology, LSE.
- Edward Ullendorff, linguist (JYB 2005 p215)
Theologians and Hebraists
- Isaac Abendana, Hebraist
- Chimen Abramsky http://www.nybooks.com/authors/5049, Professor of Hebrew
- Michael Solomon Alexander, first Anglican bishop of Jerusalem (born Jewish; see Dictionary of National Biography)
- Lionel Barnett, orientalist
- Abraham Benisch, Hebraist and editor of the Jewish Chronicle
- Immanuel Oscar Menahem Deutsch, Semitic scholar and orientalist
- Alfred Edersheim, Bible scholar
- Philip Ferdinand, Professor of Hebrew
- Christian David Ginsburg, expert on the Masoretic text
- Ridley Haim Herschell, missionary
- Marcus Kalisch http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Marcus_Kalisch, Hebraist and Biblical commentator
- David Levi, Jewish scholar
- Hugh Montefiore, bishop
- David Samuel Margoliouth, orientalist (family converted to Anglicanism)
- Adolf Neubauer, Hebraist
- Stefan Reif http://www.mucjs.org/jhrylands.htm, Cambridge academic
- Judah Segal, professor of Semitic languages (JYB 2005 p215)
- Joseph Wolff, missionary
- Frank Auerbach http://www.artguide.org/uk/AG.pl?Action=15163A&Axis=AllArtists, painter
- David Bomberg http://www.modernbritishartists.co.uk/bomberg_biog.htm, painter
- Sir Anthony Caro http://www.kunst.wuerth.com/en/kh/kh-caro1.html, sculptor
- Benno Elkan, sculptor
- Sir Jacob Epstein, sculptor (UK-based)
- Hannah Frank http://www.hannahfrank.org.uk/, artist & sculptor
- Barnett Freedman, artist
- Lucian Freud http://www.leninimports.com/lucian_freud_bio.html, painter
- Abram Games
- Mark Gertler http://web311.pavilion.net/ARTgertler.htm, painter
- Gluck (Hannah Gluckstein) http://www.glbtq.com/arts/gluck.html, artist
- Walter Goodman, painter
- Mark Lautman, artist
- Dora Gordine, artist & sculptor
- Solomon Alexander Hart, painter
- Gerry Judah artist & designer
- Anish Kapoor http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,950561,00.html, sculptor (Jewish mother)
- R. B. Kitaj, US-born painter
- Jacob Kramer, painter
- Lennie Lee http://www.lennielee.com/index2.html, Young British Artist/mixed media
- Linda McCartney http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/mcCartneystella.html, photographer
- Ruth Rix http://my.name-services.com/76905/page99.htm, painter
- Sir William Rothenstein http://www.chrisbeetles.com/pictures/artists/Rothenstein_William/Rothenstein_William.htm
- Antony Armstrong-Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon 
- Isaac Snowman http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=305&letter=P, painter
- Solomon Joseph Solomon http://www.whistler.arts.gla.ac.uk/biog/Solo_SJ.htm, painter
- Tolleck Winner, mixed media
- Alfred Wolmark, painter
Designers and Architects
- Nicole Farhi http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/1998/1948/396_via.htm, fashion designer
- John Frieda http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0316861693, hair-stylist; father of actor Jordan Frieda
- Ray Kelvin http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,6903,851194,00.html, fashion designer, founder of Ted Baker
- Arthur Korn – Architect and urban planner
- Denys Lasdun, architect
- Stella McCartney, fashion designer (Jewish Mother)
- Erich Mendelsohn, architect
- Janet Reger http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4349445.stm, lingerie designer
- Vidal Sassoon http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2003-07-07-vidal_x.htm, hair stylist
- Richard Seifert http://www.guardian.co.uk/obituaries/story/0,3604,582430,00.html, architect
Arts and literature
See List of British Jewish entertainers (includes Classical musicians and actors as "entertainers.")
See List of British Jewish writers
Business and the professions
- Abraham Manie Adelstein, Government statistician
- Sir Hermann Bondi http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/news/2005/09/13/db1301.xml, Chief Scientific Adviser to the Ministry of Defence and the Department of Energy
- Sir Andrew Cohen, colonial administrator
- Eugene Grebenik http://www.ehrcweb.org/jobs/Press-Eugene-Grebenik-17668.htm, first head of the Civil Service College
- Hans Kronberger (physicist), nuclear physicist
- Sir Alan Marre http://www.ajcarchives.org/AJC_DATA/Files/Vol_92__1992.pdf, Second Permanent Secretary, Health; later Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration
- Sir Claus Moser http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/entertainment/previewsandreviews/content_objectid=13939784_method=full_siteid=50061_page=5_headline=-A-brush-withour-darkest-hour-name_page.html, Lord Moser, Government Statistician
- Ivor Tiefenbrun, Hi Fi manufacturer
- Sir Ernest Cassel, banker
- Sir Ronald Cohenhttp://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2088-1452226,00.html, Egypt-born businessman and Labour party supporter
- Moses da Costa, also called Anthony da Costa; Jewish Encyclopedia IV p. 289
- Abraham and Benjamin Goldsmid http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=322&letter=G, brothers, leading financiers and philanthropists
- Sir Isaac Lyon Goldsmid http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9037280, financier, a leading figure in Jewish emancipation and in the foundation of University College London.
- Dudley Joel, financier
- Solomon Joel, financier
- Peter Keith Levene, chairman of Lloyds of London, Lord Mayor of London (1998–1999) (JYB 2005 212)
- Aaron of Lincoln http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=66&letter=A, 12th century financier
- Moses Haim Montefiore http://82.1911encyclopedia.org/M/MO/MONTEFIORE_SIR_MOSES_HAIM.htm, financier & philanthropist
- Michael Moritz, venture capitalist
- N M Rothschild & Sons
- Samuel Montagu, 1st Baron Swaythling http://www.montaguemillennium.com/familyresearch/h_1911_samuel.htm
- Joseph Salvador http://www.shpltd.co.uk/rousseau-jewofcrancourt.pdf, first Jewish director of the British East India Company
- Barons Swaythling http://www.heraldica.org/topics/jewish.htm, bankers
- Desmond Ackner, Baron Ackner, Law Lord
- Sir John Balcombe, Lord Justice of Appeal (The Guardian (Manchester); 04/07/00; Sir Maurice Drake; p. 20)
- Judah P. Benjamin, American exile, lawyer
- Herbert Bentwitch, lawyer and Zionist leader
- Norman Bentwitch, lawyer and Attorney-General of Palestine; son of Herbert Bentwitch
- His Honour Gerald Butler, Q.C., judge (The Times (London); 13/06/00; Frances Gibb; p. Law. 3)
- Alex Carlile, Baron Carlile of Berriew, Liberal Democrats: Jewish Chronicle
5/7/1996 p7: "The Liberal Democrats' sole Jewish MP, Alex Carlile"
25/6/1999 p10: "Alex Carlile is on his way back to Westminster as one of four Jews among the 36 working peers"
- Arthur Cohen, QC and politician
- Lionel Cohen, Baron Cohen, Lord of Appeal
- Myrella Cohen http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article822650.ece, prominent Judge, QC and agunah campaigner
- Lawrence Collins, Baron Collins of Mapesbury, Justice of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom
- Hazel Cosgrove, Lady Cosgrove http://www.culham.ac.uk/tvr/Feature/f980917_rh.html, Scottish Queen's Counsel and sheriff
- David Daube, Professor of Law (JYB 1995, p193)
- Sir Morris Finer, judge
- Dame Hazel Genn (JYB 2005 p215)
- Sir Francis Henry Goldsmid http://www.rothschildarchive.org/ib/?doc=/ib/articles/BW3bGoldsmid, MP for Reading, first Jewish barrister (Q.C. 1858)
- Sir David Lionel Goldsmid-Stern-Salomons http://www.canterbury.ac.uk/salomons-museum/tree/d-lionel-salomons.asp, barrister
- Peter Goldsmith, Baron Goldsmith http://fr.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/Printer&cid=1100147299159&p=1006953080001, http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100regionalnews/page.cfm?objectid=11674035&method=full&siteid=50061, Attorney General
- Arthur Lehman Goodhart, jurist
- William Goodhart, Baron Goodhart, human rights lawyer and politician (son of Arthur Goodhart)
- Arnold Goodman, Baron Goodman, solicitor
- Brian Green http://www.halfjew.com/html/october/4_being.html Q.C.
- Alexis Grower, Prominent Entertainment Lawyer, Magrath & Co, London
- Dame Rose Heilbron http://www.guardian.co.uk/obituaries/story/0,3604,1665683,00.html, Britain's first female Q.C., judge
- Rosalyn Higgins, President of the International Court of Justice
- Leonard Hoffmann, Baron Hoffmann, Law Lord
- Rufus Isaacs, 1st Marquess of Reading http://www.heraldica.org/topics/jewish.htm, lawyer and politician
- Sir George Jessel http://24.1911encyclopedia.org/J/JE/JESSEL_SIR_GEORGE.htm, Solicitor General for England and Wales, later Master of the Rolls
- Anthony Julius http://www.nytimes.com/books/01/05/13/reviews/010513.13wheatct.html, prominent Lawyer for Princess Diana, and against David Irving.
- Sir Otto Kahn-Freund, Professor of Law (Dictionary of National Biography)
- Neville Laski http://www.art.man.ac.uk/RELTHEOL/JEWISH/EXHIBITION/16zion1930s.html, judge
- Hersch Lauterpacht http://www.ejil.org/journal/Vol8/No2/art6.html
- Leone Levi, barrister and statistician: Jewish Encyclopedia, VIII, 34
- George Henry Lewis http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A00E6DD1239F93BA25750C0A962948260, solicitor
- Gavin Lightman http://www.cjc.org.uk/people.officers.html, judge; son of Harold Lightman
- Harold Lightman, barrister, father of Gavin Lightman and Stafford Lightman
- Alan Mocatta http://www.trivia-library.com/a/templeton-foundation-prize-for-religious-progress-history-and-award-winners.htm: "Sir Alan Mocatta, Jewish"
- Victor Mishcon, Baron Mishcon http://www.guardian.co.uk/obituaries/story/0,,1697708,00.html, solicitor.
- David Neuberger, Baron Neuberger of Abbotsbury, Justice of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom; son of Albert Neuberger, brother of James Neuberger and Michael Neuberger, and brother-in-law of Julia Neuberger (Jewish Year Book 2005:212 & 214)
- David Pearl, judge
- Nicholas Phillips, Baron Phillips of Worth Matravers, President of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom
- Sir Bernard Rix, Lord Justice of Appeal (2000-) (JYB 2005:212 & 214)
- Bernard Rudden, emeritus Professor of Comparative Law, Oxford University
- Leonard Sainer [https://www.jewishcare.org/news/?disp_feature=DPUFgl], solicitor and retailer
- Fiona Shackleton Solicitor who has acted for the Royal Family and Paul McCartney
- Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin, solicitor
- Linda Joy Stern Q.C., prosecutor and judge (Jewish Chronicle 15/9/06 p31: death notices)
- Julius Stone http://www.law.usyd.edu.au/jurisprudence/juliusstone.shtml
- Eldred Tabachnik, Q.C., former president of the Board of Deputies of British Jews http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/619244.stm.
- Peter Taylor, Baron Taylor of Gosforth http://www.jewishdutchess.org/recipes_books/book_review.php3, Q.C., former Lord Chief Justice
- Harry Woolf, Baron Woolf http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/uk/2000/newsmakers/2669719.stm, former Lord Chief Justice, Q.C., former Master of the Rolls
- Sir Leon Bagrit Time magazine, pioneer of automation
- Manny Cussins, furniture manufacturer and Chairman of Leeds United A.F.C.
- Sir Monty Finniston, industrialist (JYB 1977 p206–7)
- David Gestetner, inventor
- Joseph Kagan, Baron Kagan http://www.ajr.org.uk/pastjournal61.htm clothes manufacturer and disgraced friend of Prime Minister Harold Wilson.
- Sir Emmanuel Kaye, industrialist and philanthropist
- Lord Alan Sugar, founder and chairman of Amstrad (1968 – 2007)
- Sir Robert Waley-Cohen, industrialist
- Arnold Weinstock, Lord Weinstock, Chairman of GEC – JYB 2002, p211
- Sacha Baron Cohen, comedian; creator of Ali G, Borat and Brüno
- Rachel Beer, newspaper editor
- Sidney Bernstein, cinema owner
- Benjamin Cohen http://www.channel4.com/news/about_us/meet-the-team/benjamin-cohen.html, Channel 4 News reporter and presenter
- Danny Cohen, Controller of BBC Three
- David Baddiel, comedian, writer, journalist and broadcaster
- Nigella Lawson, television chef, daughter of Nigel Lawson.
- Simon Cowell, TV personality and producer, executive and entrepreneur
- Richard Desmond http://www.somethingjewish.co.uk/articles/859_sj_super_7.htm, publisher, Chairman of the Daily Express Group
- André Deutsch http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,6109,158496,00.html
- Ed Doolan, Australian-born broadcaster
- Vanessa Feltz, journalist and broadcaster
- Jonathan Freedland, columnist the The Guardian
- Lew Grade http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/main/crguide/vcp.html, founder of ATV
- Michael Grade http://www.itvplc.com/itv/news/releases/pr2006/2006-11-28/, Chairman of ITV
- Michael Green http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3206880.stm, founder of Carlton Television
- Sydney Jacobson, newspaper editor
- Ian Katz, Deputy Editor the The Guardian
- Joseph Moses Levy http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9048000, owner of the Daily Telegraph
- Edward Levy-Lawson, 1st Baron Burnham http://books.google.com/books?id=NagdhSUgB9oC&pg=PA356&lpg=PA356&dq=%22edward+levy+lawson%22+jewish&source=web&ots=BMO6L_MzJA&sig=P3EZkn3LWLlAI6AWO9Rmw1Y5jxQ, newspaper proprietor
- Robert Maxwell http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786710780, publisher
- Suzy Menkes http://www.booknoise.net/johnseabrook/stories/design/menkes/index.html, fashion journalist
- Melanie Phillips, journalist and author
- Eve Pollard former editor of the Daily Express
- Esther Rantzen, television presenter and journalist
- Paul Reuter http://www.ejpress.org/article/in_depth/on_anglo_jewry/3810, founder of Reuters
- Gaby Roslin, television presenter and actress
- Jacob Rothschild, 4th Baron Rothschild, Non-Executive Deputy Chairman of the Board, British SKY Broadcasting Group PLC
- Maurice Saatchi, Baron Saatchi & Charles Saatchi http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1559703636, founders of Saatchi and Saatchi
- Martin Sorrell http://www.somethingjewish.co.uk/articles/553_top_jewish_earners.htm, founder of the WPP Group
- Claudia Winkleman Television presenter, columnist, radio host
- George Weidenfeld http://www.ajr.org.uk/exhibit.htm, publisher
- Natasha Kaplinsky http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/familyhistory/bbc/series-four/natasha-kaplinsky.asp, Newsreader, TV presenter
- Guy Zitter http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/article-299115/Contact-Daily-Mail-Mail-Sunday.html, Daily Mail Managing Director
- Sir Edward Brampton – godson of King Edward IV, a knight and commander during the War of the Roses
- Peter George Davis, DSC, Royal Marine, Founder of Modern SBS,
- Frank Alexander de Pass http://www.sephardim.com/html/lore.html, World War I British Indian Army Victoria Cross recipient
- John Edwards, sailor at the Battle of Trafalgar (The Independent (London); 02/11/05; Martin Sugarman; p. 34)
- Robert Gee http://www.movinghere.org.uk/galleries/roots/jewish/service/service.htm, World War I British Army Victoria Cross recipient
- Albert Goldsmid http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=322&letter=G#1091, colonel
- Frederick John Goldsmid http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=322&letter=G#1107, general
- Thomas William Gould http://184.108.40.206/search?q=cache:fqT0Pvw_wVUJ:www.dictionaryofeverything.com/explore/947/Thomas_William_Gould.html+%22Thomas+William+Gould%22+Jewish&hl=en, World War II Royal Navy Victoria Cross recipient
- John Patrick Kenneally http://www.mishalov.com/Kenneally.html, World War II British Army Victoria Cross recipient (Jewish father)
- Issy Smith http://220.127.116.11/search?q=cache:hKEcbdSjg2sJ:au.geocities.com/digger_history_youngest_vc/pages/smith-vc.htm+%22Issy+Smith%22+Jewish&hl=en, World War I British Army Victoria Cross recipient
- Wing Commander Roland Robert Stanford Tuck DSO, DFC & Two Bars, AFC (1 July 1916 – 5 May 1987), RAF fighter pilot, Battle of Britain & Battle of France (27 air-to-air kills), English Electric Canberra test pilot
- Jack White, World War I British Army Victoria Cross recipient (JYB 2005 p215)
- David Alliance, Baron Alliance, businessman & Liberal Democrat politician (JYB 2005 212)
- Sir Victor Blank, Chairman of GUS
- Sir Montague Burton, retailer
- Sir Charles Clore http://www.chox.org.uk/generic/default.asp?pageid=84, owner of Selfridges
- Jack Cohen http://www.mytowerhamlets.co.uk/towerhamlets/celebs&gossip-jack_cohen.htm, founder of Tesco
- Ralph and David Gold, founders of Ann Summers and co-owners of Birmingham City football club (Financial Times (London); 13/07/04; Jonathon Guthrie; p. 15)
- Sir Philip Green http://www.somethingjewish.co.uk/articles/1008_green_donation.htm, owner of Bhs, Arcadia Group
- Irene Howard, English costume designer and sister of actor Leslie Howard.
- Stanley Kalms http://www.jpr.org.uk/Press_releases/Kalms_Leigh.htm, now Baron Kalms of Edgware, life president of Dixons Group PLC.
- Bernard Lewis, founder of River Island
- David Lewis http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/archive/index.php/index.php?t-1238.html, department store founder
- Michael Marks http://www.bh.org.il/NAMES/POW/Marks.asp, co-founder of Marks & Spencer (born in Poland)
- Simon Marks, chairman of Marks & Spencer
- Gerald Ronson http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1268356,00.html, business tycoon and philanthropist.
- Marcus Samuel, founder of the "Shell" Transport and Trading Company (Birmingham Post (Birmingham); 08/11/03; Chris Upton; p. 44)
- Israel Sieff, chairman of Marks & Spencer
- Lord Alan Sugar http://www.totallyjewish.com/entertainment/TJ_gold/?content_id=301, founder of Amstrad and star of The Apprentice (UK)
- Isaac Wolfson http://act.org.nz/news-article.aspx?id=24112, founder of GUS plc & philanthropist
See List of British Jewish politicians
Religious and communal leaders
- Jacob Abendana, Haham of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews
- Barnett Abrahams, Dayan, Principal of Jews' College
- Israel Abrahams, scholar and educator
- Yehezkel Abramsky, Rabbi and dayan
- Hermann Adler, Chief Rabbi
- Nathan Marcus Adler, Chief Rabbi
- Benjamin Artom, Haham of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews
- Jon Benjamin, Chief Executive, Board of Deputies of British Jews
- Lionel Blue, Reform rabbi and broadcaster
- Levi Brackman, Rabbi
- Rabbi Dr. Tony Bayfield, Head of the Movement for Reform Judaism
- Sir Israel Brodie, Chief Rabbi
- Felix Carlebach, German born Rabbi
- Isidore Epstein, Rabbi, Principal of Jews' College
- Moses Gaster, Haham of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews
- Sir Hermann Gollancz, Rabbi and educator
- Aaron Hart, Chief Rabbi http://bible.tmtm.com/wiki/HART%2C_AARON_%28Jewish_Encyclopedia%29
- Joseph H. Hertz, Chief Rabbi
- Shmuel Yitzchak Hillman, Rabbi and dayan
- Solomon Hirschell, Chief Rabbi
- Moses Hyamson, acting Chief Rabbi
- Louis Jacobs, Rabbi and educator
- Immanuel Jakobovits, Baron Jakobovits, Chief Rabbi
- Nathan S. Joseph
- Casriel Dovid Kaplin, rabbi and dayan
- James Kennard, Rabbi and Educationalist
- Hart Lyon, Chief Rabbi
- Frederick de Sola Mendes, rabbi
- Ewen Montagu, President of the United Synagogue
- Claude Montefiore, Lay synagogue leader
- Julia Neuberger, Reform Rabbi
- David Nieto, Haham of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews
- Isaac Nieto, Haham of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews
- Michael Plaskow, Minister
- Joel Portnoy, Rabbi and Mohel - Hale & District Hebrew Congregation. Also on the Cabinet of the Chief Rabbi, UK.
- Jonathan Romain, Rabbi
- Sir Anthony Rothschild, first president of the United Synagogue
- Lord Jonathan Sacks, Chief Rabbi
- Joseph ben Yehuda Leib Shapotshnick, rabbi
- Solomon Marcus Schiller-Szinessy, rabbi and first Jewish professor in Cambridge
- Simeon Singer, Rabbi
- Andrew Shaw, Rabbi
- Simon Waley Waley, Lay leader
- Chaim Weizmann, Zionist leader
- Jonathan Wittenberg, Massorti Rabbi
See List of British Jewish entertainers
- Barney Aaron (Young), English-born US lightweight, Hall of Fame
- Jackie Kid Berg http://www.jewishsports.net/BioPages/JackieBerg.htm, Junior Welterweight Champion (IBHOF), wore a Star of David on his trunks
- Roman Greenberg, IBO intercontinental heavyweight champion
- Gary Jacobs, Scottish, British, Commonwealth, and European (EBU) champion welterweight
- Ted "Kid" Lewis (Gershon Mendeloff), world welterweight champion 1915-16, 1917-19
- Daniel Mendoza http://www.jewishsports.net/BioPages/DanielMendoza.htm, 18th century Heavyweight World Champion (IBHOF), ancestor of actor Peter Sellers and Mike Mendoza (talksport) Radio & Television Presenter
- Gerald Abrahams http://www.wzo.org.il/en/resources/view.asp?id=120, British chess player
- Aaron Alexandre http://www.foonews.net/it-hobby-scacchi/4213857-articoli-enciclopedie-sugli-scacchi.html, German/French/British chess player
- Victor Berger http://www.jinfo.org/Chess_Players.html, Ukrainian/British chess player
- Stephan Fazekas http://www.jinfo.org/Chess_Players.html, Hungarian/British chess player
- David Friedgood http://www.foonews.net/it-hobby-scacchi/4213857-articoli-enciclopedie-sugli-scacchi.html, South African/British chess player
- Harry Golombek http://www.jinfo.org/Chess_Players.html, British chess player
- Isidor Gunsberg http://www.jinfo.org/Chess_Players.html, Hungarian/British chess player
- William Hartston http://www.jinfo.org/Chess_Players.html, British chess player
- Leopold Hoffer http://www.jinfo.org/Chess_Players.html, Hungarian/British chess player
- Bernhard Horwitz http://www.jinfo.org/Chess_Players.html, German/British chess player
- Ernest Klein http://www.jinfo.org/Chess_Players.html, Austrian/British chess player
- Imre König http://www.jinfo.org/Chess_Players.html, Hungarian/British chess player
- David Levy http://www.foonews.net/it-hobby-scacchi/4213857-articoli-enciclopedie-sugli-scacchi.html, British chess player
- Paul List http://www.foonews.net/it-hobby-scacchi/4213857-articoli-enciclopedie-sugli-scacchi.html, Ukrainian/British chess player
- Edward Löwe http://www.foonews.net/it-hobby-scacchi/4213857-articoli-enciclopedie-sugli-scacchi.html, British chess player
- Johann Löwenthal http://www.jinfo.org/Chess_Players.html, Hungarian/British chess player
- Jacques Mieses http://www.jinfo.org/Chess_Players.html, German/British chess player
- Raaphi Persitz http://www.foonews.net/it-hobby-scacchi/4213857-articoli-enciclopedie-sugli-scacchi.html, Israeli/British chess player
- Jon Speelman http://jewish-books.net/findBy_AuthName/find_Speelman_chess.html, British chess player
- Michael Stean http://www.jinfo.org/Chess_Players.html, British chess player
- Victor Wahltuch http://www.foonews.net/it-hobby-scacchi/4213857-articoli-enciclopedie-sugli-scacchi.html, British chess player
- Baruch Harold Wood http://www.anusha.com/alekhine.htm British chess player
- Johannes Zukertort http://www.jinfo.org/Chess_Players.html, Polish/German/British chess player
- Mike Barnard, England, cricketer
- Mark Bott, England, cricketer
- Percy Fender, England, cricketer
- Darren Gerard, England, cricketer
- Steven Herzberg, English-born Australian, cricketer
- Bev Lyon, England, cricketer
- Dar Lyon, England, cricketer (brother of Bev)
- John Raphael, England, batsman
- Fred Trueman, cricketer (Jewish ancestry) (Jewish Chronicle 7 July 2006 p40: "T'fastest Jewish bowler ever")
- Allan Jay, British (épée & foil), Olympic 2x silver, world champion
- Edgar Seligman, British (épée, foil, and sabre), Olympic 2x silver (épée), 2x British champion in each weapon
Football (association; soccer)
- Viktor Barna (born "Győző Braun"), Hungary/Britain, 22x world champion, International Table Tennis Foundation Hall of Fame ("ITTFHoF")
- Richard Bergmann, Austria/Britain, 7x world champion, ITTFHoF
- Ivor Montagu, Britain, national team
Track and field
- Fred Oberlander, Austrian, British, and Canadian wrestler; world champion (freestyle heavyweight); Maccabiah champion
- Samuel Rabin, Great Britain, Olympic bronze (freestyle middleweight)
- Bernhard Baron, cigarette maker and philanthropist http://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Community/Brightonh.htm
- Sir Clive Bourne, philanthropist
- Joseph Duveen, 1st Baron Duveen of Millbank
- Dame Vivien Duffield, philanthropist, daughter of Sir Charles Clore (JYB 2005 p214)
- Lord Gavron of Highgate, philanthropist and Labour politician
- Anna Maria Goldsmid, philanthropist
- Sir Basil Henriques, philanthropist
- Maurice de Hirsch, banker and philanthropist
- Samuel Lewis http://www.tymsder.co.uk/lender.htm, financier and philanthropist
- Sir Robert Mayer http://ajcarchives.org/AJC_DATA/Files/1987_7_WestEurope.pdf, philanthropist
- Frederic David Mocatta, philanthropist
- Peter Milner http://videolectures.net/peter_milner/, sports statistician from Newcastle, now working at Atass Sports in Exeter http://www.atass-sports.co.uk/
- Barney Barnato, diamond miner
- Jack Beddington, advertising executive
- Antonio Fernandez Carvajal, merchant, first Jew to be naturalised as a British citizen
- Jeremiah Duggan Possible murder victim
- Elizabeth Baker http://www.sussex.ac.uk/cgjs/1-2-2.html, A Wireless Specialist
- Stuart Paton.
- Alexander Goldberg, human rights activist, chaplain and barrister
- Henry Edward Goldsmid http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=322&letter=G#1107, East India Company servant
- Kurt Hahn, educationalist
- Nathaniel Isaacs,http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=256&letter=I&search=ISAACS,%20NATHANIEL explorer
- Gottlieb Wilhelm Leitner (1840–1899), educationist and orientalist
- Roger Lyons Trade Union leader
- Mark Ablett Designed the national flag of Tanzania
- Sir Solomon de Medina http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=328&letter=M, army contractor, first English Jew to be knighted
- Chava Mond, http://www.eonline.co.il/content.asp?id=14439&sid=7 model
- Don Pacifico, cause of the Pacifico incident
- Krystyna Skarbek, spy
- Sir Bernard Waley-Cohen http://www.commentarymagazine.com/Summaries/V38I4P62-1.htm, Lord Mayor of London
- Celmins, Martin. Peter Green: The Authorized Biography. London: Sanctuary Publishing, Ltd.; 3rd edition, 2003. pp. 23–32.
- JYB = Jewish Year Book (annual)
- "Obituary: Sir Edward Sassoon". The Times, Saturday, 25 May 1912; pg. 11; Issue 39908; col C.
- TimesAd: The Times, 6/7/06 p34: "A Call by Jews in Britain" (advert signed by 300 British Jews)
- David S. Katz, The Jews in the History of England, 1485–1850 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1994). xvi, 447 pp.
Notes and References
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "He was one of the many children of pre-1914 Jewish immigrants from eastern Europe who were to play such prominent roles in British economic, cultural, and political life."
- [Encyclopaedia Judaica]
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "He was buried in Golders Green Jewish cemetery"
- Martin Beckford, "Jewish group rejects uncritical support of Israel" Telegraph (5 Feb 2007)
- The Times; 11 January 1997; Tony Turnbull:"Born in Oxford, she had moved to Cheltenham at the age of five when her father, the polymath Jacob Bronowski, author of Ascent of Man, took up a research post with the National Coal Board. So it was that this nice little Jewish family moved in to Cleeve Hill, a small village four miles from town."
- [Jewish Year Book]
- Encyclopaedia Judaica, art. "Magnus"
- http://jewishvoices.squarespace.com/identity/, http://www.history.qmul.ac.uk/staff/sassoond.html,
- [Concise Dictionary of National Biography]
- [Encyclopaedia Judaica]
- Jewish Chronicle, 14 January 2000, p.14 "Knighthood goes to diabetes pioneer"
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "born of Jewish parents of Russian origin"
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "born in Bavaria of Jewish parents"
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "the son of Jewish parents"
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "Jewish physician"
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "the only child of Jacob Márton Lipsitz, a wine merchant, and Márgit Herczfeld, both Hungarian Jews"
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "Elias, as a Jew, sought refuge first in Paris (1933–5), and then in London (from 1935), eventually becoming a British citizen in 1952"
- http://www.grazian-archive.com/autobiography/student/STUS12.htm "Mr. Herman Finer, an Englishman, Jewish"
- Jewish Chronicle obituary, June 25, 1993, p.15
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "An unbaptized Jew"
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "of Jewish parentage"
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "the only child of prosperous Jewish parents"
- [Encyclopædia Britannica]
- Obituary, Jewish Chronicle, 5 February 1960, p.1
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "born of Jewish parents"
- [Encyclopædia Britannica]
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "born of Jewish parents at Vienna"
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: born in Poland of Jewish parents
- born Jewish; see Dictionary of National Biography
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "born in Prussian Poland of Jewish parents"
- [Dictionary of National Biography]
- His own book On Being a Jewish Christian (1998)
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "an academically highly gifted boy of Jewish parentage"
- http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=203&letter=N&search=Neubauer "Adolf Neubauer"
- http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,1384783,00.html Guardian Books
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "born at Dortmund of Jewish parentage"
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, cited at OUP web site
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "son of East-End Russian Jewish immigrants"
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "As a Jew, Games worked for the Jewish relief unit and for many Jewish and Israeli organizations"
- Obituary, Jewish Chronicle 30 August 1912, p16
- Obituary, Jewish Chronicle 15 August 1989, p16
- Delia Gaze Dictionary of Women Artists Routledge Press 1997,
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "Hart was an observant Jew."
- The Guardian, 6 February 2002, p6: Letter from Kitaj: "London's four leading Jewish painters, including me"; Listed as a British painter in Hutchinson's Encyclopedia of Britain, 2005
- H. Read, S. Thorndike, and others, Jacob Kramer: a memorial volume (1969)
- http://www.thejc.com/home.aspx?ParentId=m10&AId=60757&ATypeId=1 Jewish Chronicle
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "born of Jewish parents in Warsaw; naturalized, 1894"
- http://www.nextbook.org/cultural/filterarchive.html?date=2003-12 Comment by his son James Lasdun
- http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/mcCartneystella.html Jewish Virtual Library
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "born in East Prussia of German-Jewish parents
- Jewish Chronicle, 8 January 1999, p.6: "Three Jewish knights feature among the New Year honours: ... Nichola Serota ... John Krebs ... Victor Blank."
- Patricia Welch, "The World of the Shining Translator: Waley's "Genji", Orientalism, and the birth of Japanese Literary Studies", "Waley, born Arthur David Schloss, was a member of an elite Anglo-Jewish family"
- article in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- [Jewish Chronicle]
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "born in Linz, Austria, of Jewish parents"
- K. Grunwald, ‘Windsor Cassel: the last court Jew’, Yearbook of the Leo Baeck Institute, 14 (1969), 119–61
- Jewish Chronicle 25 July 1941, p.12, "Jews in the Navy"
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "a devout Jew"
- Web site: House of Rothschild – MSN Encarta . http://www.webcitation.org/5kyWZjtLb. 2009-11-01. yes.
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "born of Jewish parents of English nationality"
- http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/021209fa_fact New Yorker magazine
- [Encyclopaedia Judaica]
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "first professing Jew to graduate at Cambridge"
- [Dictionary of National Biography]
- Jewish Chronicle, 12 January 2007 p.15: article "People: Who is up to what in the Jewish world this week"
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "born in New York of wealthy Jewish parents"
- Flade, Ronald. The Lehmans: From Rimpar to the New World: A Family History, 2nd Enlarged Ed., 1999; reviewed by the American Jewish Historical Society. Accessed 14 November 2006.
- Web site: Ideas for community study 350 years of Anglo-jewry. LiberalJudaism.org. 12 March 2010.
- Obituary: Harold Lightman; The Independent; 18 November 1998; John Balcombe; p. 6; "Lightman was disadvantaged in his early legal career by the fact that he had not been to university and was Jewish."
- Son of Rabbi Chaim Pearl: see Who's Who (UK)
- "The Guardian Profile", The Guardian, 15 February 2008, pg.21
- [Encyclopaedia Judaica]
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "He was a devout Jew"
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "His parents were Orthodox Jews"
- The Times, 14 April 1998, p.1: "the Jewish philanthropist Sir Emmanuel Kaye"
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "leading figure in Anglo-Jewry"
- [Encyclopaedia Judaica]
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "the only son and elder child of Samuel and Anna Jacobson, a Jewish couple"
- The Times (London); 3 December 1992; Ruth Gledhill:'Lord Rothschild, who is head of the English branch of the Rothschild family, says: "I would not like to disguise that I am first and foremost a secular Jew."'
- The first of the Tudors: a study of Henry VII and his reign, (Taylor & Francis, 1981) By Michael Van Cleave Alexander, page 97
- [Dictionary of National Biography]
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "born in Lithuania of Jewish parentage"
- Jewish Chronicle, 24 April 1998, p.7: "one Jewish businessman on the up is fashion and property man Bernard Lewis"
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "a leading member of the London Jews"
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "naturalised British subject, 1910"
- News: Barney Aaron–Star of the East Shone in London. Ron Jackson. Richmark Sentinel. January 17, 2010. June 1, 2010.
- http://www.secondsout.com/romangreenberg/previousnews.cfm Roman Greenberg site
- Book: Annual Obituary, 1991. Deborah Andrews. 155862175X. St. James Pr. 1992. June 3, 2010.
- Web site: Ted "Kid" Lewis(Gershon Mendeloff). www.jewishsports.net. 2008-05-09.
- Web site: Team GB cricket fail to see the job through. Danny Caro. The Jewish Chronicle. July 14, 2009. July 1, 2010.
- Web site: Blues pack British squad. The Times. July 6, 2005. July 1, 2010.
- Web site: Rhodes to be part of unique Israel team. Ajay S Shankar. ESPN Cricinfo. May 23, 2008. July 1, 2010.
- News: Paul. Rowland. Bluebirds' star first British Jew footballer for 25 years. WalesOnline. April 10, 2007. July 4, 2008.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "Sheila's upbringing in an all-girl Jewish family generated no interest in motoring beyond her training as a Women's Auxiliary Air Force driver."
- Encyclopedia Judaica, Second Edition, volume 19, p 146
- News: Player profile: Aaron Liffchack. The Jewish Chronicle. May 24, 2010.
- "Bullimore's sister buoyed by rabbis' support", Jewish Chronicle January 24, 1997, p. 1
- Web site: The A-Z Guide To Jewish Grand Slam Champions. David Goodman. Tennis Grandstand. May 24, 2010. June 1, 2010.
- Web site: Solomon Abrahams. Jewsinsports.org. May 12, 2010.
- http://www.thejc.com/home.aspx?ParentId=m14s44&SecId=44&AId=54735&ATypeId=1 The Jewish Chronicle
- Jewish Chronicle, obituary, 19 January 2007 p.45
- Oxf, ord Dictionary of National Biography: "Born an Orthodox Jew, in her religious practices Anna Maria remained throughout her life very observant"
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "born into old, established Jewish family"
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "His grandfather Jacob had established the family as one of the first Jewish families to acquire great wealth and social acceptability in Bavaria ... His mother came from an Orthodox Frankfurt family and ensured that the children were properly instructed in Jewish matters ... he thereafter lived more in London than in Paris."
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "Jewish philanthropist"
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "His family were Jewish"
- The Press, Hendon and Finchley Edition, 16 November 2006, p.4: "Student Jeremiah, who was Jewish"
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "born in Berlin of Jewish parents"
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "registered with the Jewish community of Pest"; Jewish Encyclopedia
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "a Portuguese Jew, but born a British subject"
- http://www.lire.fr/critique.asp/idC=39075/idR=217/idG=4 Lire: le magazine littéraire