Gregory Jbara Explained
|Born:||September 28, 1961|
|Birthplace:||Westland, Michigan U.S.|
Gregory Jbara (born September 28, 1961) is an American film, television and stage actor.
Jbara was born in Westland, Michigan, the son of an advertising office manager and an insurance claims adjuster. He is of Lebanese and Irish descent.  After graduating from Wayne Memorial High School in Wayne, Michigan, Jbara attended the University of Michigan School of Music musical theatre program (BA 1981) before transferring to Juilliard (1982-1986) to complete his BFA in acting.
Jbara originated the role of "Jackie Elliot" (aka "Dad") in the Broadway production of Billy Elliot the Musical, opening November 13, 2008, with David Alvarez, Trent Kowalik and Kiril Kulish alternating in the role of "Billy Elliot".
On May 5, 2005, Sardi's caricatures of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels stars Butz, Gleason, Jbara and Scott were unveiled in a ceremony hosted by fellow co-star Sara Gettelfinger. (Scoundrels star John Lithgow had already been caricatured at Sardi's. ) In a 2008 Grand Rapids Press interview, Jbara (noting the importance of being caricatured at the landmark Broadway restaurant) said, "You don't remember a year later who won the Tonys, but that picture will be in Sardi's for the rest of my life."
Jbara received the BackStageWest Garland 2000 Award for his performance in the west coast premiere of George Furth's play, Precious Sons, co-starring Nora Dunn, Michael Malota, Ginger Williams and Adam Wylie.
In 2006, Jbara received a Special Award from the New England Theatre Conference for his achievement in theatre.
Jbara appeared as TV Land's on-camera spokesperson in eight different spots featuring three generations sitting on a couch -- grandpa (William Severs), father/boomer (Jbara) and teenage son (Dylan Kepp). The spots focused, humorously, on the contrasts among those generations and were first shown on TV Land during the TV Land Awards broadcast on April 22, 2007.
Other selected stage credits
Selected TV credits
- "Col. Roger Bright" in The Unit episode, "Paradise Lost"
- "Judge Herman Zemit" in Conviction episode, "True Love"
- "The Tree Trimmer Hero" (voice) in Higglytown Heroes episode, "Kip Gets Swing Fever"
- "Dan O'Keefe" (recurring role) in Grounded for Life (Seasons 2-5)
- "George Haan" in Century City episode, "Sweet Child of Mine"
- "Gene Lester" ("Pyramid" contestant) in Friends episode, "The One Where the Stripper Cries"
- "Congressman Segal" in The West Wing episode, "Angel Maintenance"
- "Rev. Compton" in Ally McBeal episode, "Reach Out and Touch"
- "Mike" in Malcolm in the Middle episode, "New Neighbors"
- "Jo Jo Regosi" (recurring role) in That's Life
- "Scott Morgan" in Touched by an Angel episode, "At the End of the Aisle"
- "German General," "German Soldier," and "German Priest" in Family Guy episode, "Road to Germany"
Selected film credits
Notes and References
- http://www.gregoryjbara.com/amsndpre.html GregoryJbara.com - A Midsummer Night's Dream movie premiere report by actor, 1999
- http://www.gregoryjbara.com/2000fanphoneinterview/greg-jbara.html GregoryJbara.com - Interview with actor, 2000
- http://gregoryjbara.com/biography.html#misc GregoryJbara.com - Biography (Misc. Extras)
- http://www.music.umich.edu/departments/theatre/files/theatredrama2005.pdf Theatre at Michigan - 2005/2006, Volume 17, pages 12,14
- http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=10112 BroadwayWorld - Jbara Still a SCOUNDREL
- http://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Video.aspx?ci=511941 On the Scene: Four Scoundrels Make the Wall at Sardi's, Video Feature: Broadway.com
- http://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Photo_Op.aspx?ci=511830 A Wall Full of Scoundrels at Sardi's, Photo Op:Broadway.com Buzz
- http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grpress/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-2/120127239362780.xml&coll=6 Stage, screen star comes to aid of Actors' Theatre - mlive.com
- http://www.theblank.com/historyawards.htm The Blank Theatre Company - Awards
- http://netconline.org/excellence-in-theatre-awards.php NETC Online: Excellence in Theatre Awards
- Web site: 'Billy Elliot' announces its New York cast. Associated Press. 2008-07-16. 2008-07-21.
- http://www.ibdb.com/person.asp?id=73667 ibdb.com: GregoryJbara (et al)
- http://www.gregoryjbara.com/spaceshipearth.html GregoryJbara.com - "Greg's voice part of Spaceship Earth"
- http://www.caduet.com/content/index.asp See image at Caduet.com
- http://gregoryjbara.com/index-bw.html#caduet Link to more info and scan of print ad