George's Ballroom was an American ballroom in New Ulm, Minnesota located on Center Street. It was built in 1947 after World War II and became a hot spot for young couples reuniting after the war. Performers such as Lawrence Welk, The Andrews Sisters, Glenn Miller, and the Six Fat Dutchmen all played there, and in its heyday it was an important center for big bands and polka music.
The colorful art deco building was a symbol of the small-town ballrooms that were the center of weekend activity is rural America. The ballroom also housed a bowling alley, restaurant, and popular bar. The building closed in 1991 due to declining interest in big bands, ballroom dancing, and polka.
The complex was acquired by Brown County in a tax foreclosure case. The building was later sold at auction and the new owner made plans to renovate and re-open the historical complex. The Minnesota Historical Society funded a study that was completed in 2003, and a preservation architect team was hired to restore the building to its former glory. The ballroom has since re-opened, but its ultimate fate is uncertain as of early 2007 due to a disagreement between the owner and the City of New Ulm. http://www.nujournal.com/journal/stories/n101406.html