|Latin Name:||Universitas Fordhamensis|
|Motto:||Latin: Sapientia et Doctrina|
(Wisdom and Learning)
|Established:||1841 (as St. John's College)|
|Type:||Private, Independent, Catholic, Jesuit|
|President:||Rev. Joseph M. McShane S.J.|
|City:||Bronx, Manhattan, and West Harrison|
|Postgrad:||7,579 (1,652 law)|
|Faculty:||681 full time, 475 adjunct|
|Campus:||Rose Hill (Bronx):|
|Colors:||Maroon and White|
|Free:||22 NCAA Division I varsity teams, Atlantic 10 Conference, except football (Patriot League). Affiliations: MAISA, ECAC, IC4A|
Fordham University is a private university in the United States, with three campuses located in and around New York City. It was founded by the Roman Catholic Diocese of New York in 1841 as St. John's College, placed in the care of the Society of Jesus shortly thereafter, and has since become an independent institution under a lay Board of Trustees which describes the university as "in the Jesuit tradition."
Enrollment at Fordham University includes more than 8,000 undergraduate students and 7,000 graduate students spread over three campuses in New York State: Rose Hill in The Bronx, Lincoln Center in Manhattan, and Westchester in West Harrison. The University also offers programs in the People's Republic of China and the United Kingdom. Fordham awards bachelor's (BA, BFA, and BS), master's, and doctoral degrees.
Fordham University is composed of four undergraduate colleges and six graduate schools, including the tier-1 Fordham Graduate School of Social Service and the particularly selective tier-1 Fordham School of Law.
Fordham University was originally founded as St. John's College in 1841 by the Irish-born Coadjutor Bishop (later Archbishop) of the Diocese of New York, the Most Reverend John Joseph Hughes. The College was the first Catholic institution of higher education in the northeastern United States. Bishop Hughes purchased most of Rose Hill Manor and Estate in Fordham, the Bronx, then part of Westchester County, at $40,000 for the purpose of establishing the school. "Rose Hill" was the name originally given to the site in 1787 by its owner, Robert Watts, a wealthy New York merchant, in honor of his family's eponymous ancestral home in Scotland.
St. John's College opened with a student body of six on June 24, 1841. The Reverend John McCloskey (later Archbishop of New York, eventually to become the first American Cardinal) was its president, and the faculty were secular priests and lay instructors. The College was paired with a seminary, St. Joseph's, which had been founded in 1839 and was in the separate charge of Italian Lazarists (also known as "Vincentians"). St. Joseph's Seminary later closed in 1861.
In 1846, on the same year that St. John's College received its charter from the New York state legislature, Bishop Hughes convinced a group of Jesuits, including five from St. Mary's College in Kentucky, to staff the new school.  In 1847, Fordham's first school in Manhattan opened. In 1861, this school became the separate, chartered College of St. Francis Xavier.
With the addition in 1905 of a law school and a (now defunct) medical school, the name was changed to Fordham University in 1907 (despite the name of the original college, Fordham has never had any connection with St. John's University). The name Fordham ("ford by the hamlet") refers to the Fordham neighborhood of the Bronx in which the Rose Hill campus is located. This neighborhood was named either as a reference to the colonial settlement that was located near a shallow crossing of the Bronx River, or as a reference to Rev. John Fordham, an Anglican priest.
In 1908, Fordham University Press was established.
In 1912, the university opened a College of Pharmacy, which offered a three-year program in pharmacy and did not require its students to obtain bachelor's degrees until the late 1930s. The College had a mainly Jewish student body, and in recognition of that, students were exempt from the then-required course in Catholic theology. The College's longtime dean, Jacob Diner, was also Jewish.
In 1961, Fordham Law School opened at the new Lincoln Center campus -- the first building to open in the Lincoln Square Renewal Project.In 1969, the colleges at 302 Broadway were moved to the new Lowenstein Building on the Lincoln Center campus, and other colleges soon followed.
In 1969 the board of trustees was reorganized to include a majority of non-clergy members, and officially made the University an independent institution. The College of Pharmacy closed because of declining enrollment in 1972. Fordham College at Rose Hill became coeducational in 1974, as a result of the merger with Thomas More College (the University’s coordinate college for women opened in 1964).
Since its opening in 1968, the undergraduate college in Manhattan has had its name changed from "The Liberal Arts College" to "The College at Lincoln Center" and in 1996 to Fordham College at Lincoln Center. In 1993, a twenty-story residence hall was added to the campus to house 850 graduate and undergraduate students.
Marymount College, an independent women's college founded in 1907 by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary (R.S.H.M.) was consolidated into Fordham University in July 2002. It had been steeped in financial hardship since the 1970s. Located 25miles north of New York City in Tarrytown, New York, the campus was home to a woman's undergraduate college, a branch of Fordham College of Liberal Studies, as well as extensions of the graduate schools of education, social service, and business administration.
In August 2005, the University announced a multi-year, $1 billion proposed master plan to add 1500000square feet of academic, student activities, and dormitory space to the Lincoln Center campus. The development of the campus will begin with the expansion of Quinn Library and the construction of a new Law School building, a new student center, a dormitory, and additional parking. Future phases of the development plan include the construction of new space for Fordham College of Liberal Studies, Fordham College at Lincoln Center, the Graduate School of Business, the Graduate School of Social Service, and the Graduate School of Education. In 2007, responding to unforeseen objections and concerns from the Upper West Side community, Fordham launched a "neighbors" site designed to answer community concerns about the Lincoln Center campus expansion. The plans for the Lincoln Center campus are part of a university-wide plan to enhance the quality of education at Fordham in an effort to become the prominent and preeminent Catholic institution of higher learning in America. The first part of the strategic plan is entitled Toward 2016, with intent to achieve significant goals by the University's 175th Anniversary. The University pledged to make the construction of a Law School and a science facility as the necessary first steps in that plan
Marymount College graduated its final undergraduate class in May 2007, after Fordham University announced in 2005 that the college would be phased out. University administration announced that the campus would remain open for Fordham graduate programs in several disciplines. However, in the fall of 2007 the University announced its intention to seek buyers for the Marymount campus and move its programs to less expansive facilities elsewhere in Westchester. University administration stated that the expenses required to support the programs on campus far exceeded their demand. University officials estimate that the revenue gained from the proposed sale would not be greater than the expenses Fordham incurred maintaining and improving the campus since its merger with Marymount College. President Father McShane nonetheless stated that the University's decision was a "painful" one. Fordham then announced it's intention to move the remaining programs from the Marymount campus to a new location at 400 Westchester Avenue in Harrison, New York by Fall 2008. On February 17, 2008, Fordham announced the sale of the campus for $27 million to EF Schools, a chain of private language-instruction schools. 
In December 2007, the University established the Fordham Museum of Greek, Etruscan and Roman Art at its Rose Hill campus. The museum contains more than 200 relics from classical antiquity, ranging from Greek terra cotta vases to Roman marble heads to Etruscan urns. The museum was a gift from William D. Walsh, a 1951 graduate and founding chairman of Sequoia Associates. The museum is located at the William D. Walsh Family Library on the Rose Hill campus. It is the largest collection of its kind in the New York metropolitan area.
In April 2008, Fordham entered into an affiliation with Heythrop College, the Jesuit specialist Philosophy and Theology College of the University of London. Fordham will utilize a large portion of space at the college, which is located near Kensington Square, in central London. The University of London consortium of colleges consists of such institutions as King's College London, University College London, and the London School of Economics and Political Science. Fordham will also house its London Dramatic Academy, and College of Business Administration programs at Heythrop as well. 
Fordham University's academic ideals are drawn from its Jesuit influences. The University promotes a Jesuit principle known as cura personalis, which fosters a faculty and administration respect for the individual student and their uniqueness, and the Jesuit principle magis which intends to inspire service and strive for excellence in all aspects of life, even beyond the academic.
All undergraduate colleges at Fordham share a Core Curriculum that consists of 17–21 courses (depending on foreign language proficiency) drawn from nine disciplines and/or families of disciplines intended to provide a sound liberal arts education. In outline, the core includes:
Students are expected to complete the core (in their home school) by the end of sophomore year, with the exception of the Global, Pluralism, and Senior Values courses.
Fordham University comprises four undergraduate colleges and six graduate schools on three campuses.
The Fordham University libraries own over 2.4 million volumes, subscribe to over 15,500 periodicals and 19,000 electronic journals, and are a depository for United States Government documents. The William D. Walsh Family Library is at the Rose Hill campus; the Gerald M. Quinn Library at the Lincoln Center campus; the new Westchester campus and the Leo T. Kissam Memorial Law Library serves the Law School.
As of February 2009, U.S. News & World Report has ranked Fordham's undergraduate program 61st among national universities in the United States. In 2008, the Graduate School of Social Service was ranked 17th nationally by U.S. News & World Report, the Graduate School of Education was ranked 58th nationally, and also ranked the College of Business Administration 71st, up nine spots from 2007.
In 2008, BusinessWeek magazine ranked Fordham's College of Business Administration 27th nationally. Fordham grants degrees in the BIMBA program (Beijing International MBA) — the first foreign MBA degree to be approved by the Chinese Government and ranked #1 in China by Fortune Magazine.
Fordham University School of Law is ranked 27th in the nation in the 2009 U.S. News & World Report law school rankings.
While not strictly a "ranking", the editors of Kaplan/Newsweek’s 2008 edition of How to Get Into College Guide included Fordham University as one of the “25 Hottest Schools in America”, with the title "Hottest Catholic School."
Fordham also participates in the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (NAICU)'s University and College Accountability Network (U-CAN).
Fordham University attracts students from around the world, and at the turn of the 21st century had registered students from approximately 90 countries in addition to every US state and territory. To accommodate this student body, the university has two residential campuses: Rose Hill in the Bronx and Lincoln Center in Manhattan. The University also maintains programs at the Westchester campus in West Harrison (formerly Marymount in Tarrytown), a biological field station in Armonk, New York and two international locations: The Beijing International MBA (BIMBA) in Beijing, China, and the London Center in the United Kingdom, home to the London Drama Academy.
The undergraduate Fordham College of Liberal Studies holds classes on all three New York campuses, utilizing the same faculty and curriculum as the other colleges in the University. In addition, the flexibility of multiple campuses facilitates options for both full-time and part-time study and unconventional scheduling, in order to accommodate students who are employed full-time or otherwise unable to take advantage of the offerings at Fordham's other, more centralized, undergraduate colleges.
The Rose Hill campus, established in 1841, is home to the undergraduate Fordham College at Rose Hill, the College of Business Administration, and a portion of the Fordham College of Liberal Studies as well as the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and the Graduate School of Religion & Religious Education. Located on 85acres in the north Bronx, it is among the largest "open space campuses" in New York City. The campus is bordered by the New York Botanical Garden, the Bronx Zoo, and "Little Italy of the Bronx" on Arthur Avenue. Rose Hill's traditional collegiate Gothic architecture, cobblestone streets, and green expanses of lawn have been used as settings in a number of feature films over the years. Rose Hill is also home to the University Church, which was built in 1845 as a seminary chapel and parish church for surrounding farms. The gothic-style church is an official New York City landmark and contains the original altar from Old St. Patrick's Cathedral along with stained glass windows first intended as a gift by Louis-Philippe of France for the cathedral. Among the 15 campus dormitories are Fordham's three residential colleges: O'Hare Hall, Tierney Hall, and Queen's Court (the last, with its notable Bishop's Lounge, dates back to the days of St. John's College). Finlay Hall, now an upperclassman dormitory, was built in 1905 as home to the (since defunct) medical school,and later was home to the chemistry department for 47 years, until 1968. Another dormitory, Walsh Hall, was built facing the street as a condition of the loan Fordham received from New York City. If Fordham had defaulted on the loan, the city would have converted it into a housing project, however this did not occur, and the building's entrance still confusingly faces the street on the edge of the campus instead of the interior of the campus. Walsh Hall was formerly known simply as 555 due to its address: 555 E.191st Street. The campus is served by the Fordham station of the Metro-North Railroad (the tracks run along the boundary fence), with a southern terminus at Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan. Public transit buses stop adjacent to campus exits and New York City Subway stations are within walking distance. The University also provides a "Ram Van" shuttle service among the three main campuses. About 6,284 undergraduates and graduates attend the Rose Hill campus, with 3,143 in residence.
The Lincoln Center campus, created by Robert Moses in 1961 as part of the "Lincoln Square Renewal Project",
About 8,000 undergraduate, graduate, professional, and doctoral students study at the Lincoln Center campus, where about 940 live in apartment-style housing. There are almost 1,800 undergraduates enrolled in Fordham College At Lincoln Center, with an additional 300 undergraduates in the Fordham College of Liberal Studies (at this campus), and the remainder comprise the graduate population. The Lincoln Center campus currently consists of the Leon Lowenstein Building, McMahon Hall dormitory, Gerald M. Quinn Library, and Fordham School of Law. Fordham offices are also housed at 33 W. 60th St and 888 W. 57th St. The Lincoln Center campus also has two outdoor basketball and tennis courts.
There are two open, grassy plazas at the Lincoln Center Campus, built over the Quinn Library, one level up from the street. The larger plaza was historically known as Robert Moses Plaza and once hosted a bust of its namesake on a barren cement landscape (lawns have since been added), and the smaller one is known as St. Peter's Garden. A memorial to Fordham students and alumni who died on 9/11 stands in St. Peter's Garden. According to Fordham's expansion plan, Robert Moses Plaza may be razed to make way for several new buildings. 
The University moved Fordham College of Liberal Studies (Westchester Division), graduate schools of Business Administration, Education, Social Service, and Religion and Religious Education, from the former Marymount campus to 400 Westchester Avenue, in West Harrison, New York. The first classes were scheduled for fall, 2008.
The new campus includes a three-story, 62500square feet building on 32acres landscaped with a stream and pond. Fordham signed a 20-year lease for the new campus. The facilities include 26 newly designed classrooms featuring technological amenities such as "smart boards", teleconferencing capabilities, and newly installed seating and learning areas.
In addition, faculty offices and administrative support space, a library resource center, a food service facility, and meeting areas both indoor and outdoor for student sessions are available. Over $8 million was spent in renovation to provide the University with green building technology, including the design of academic facilities surrounding a large central courtyard.
This campus is served by the White Plains station of the Metro-North Railroad, approximately 40NaN0 away in the county seat of White Plains, with a southern terminus at Grand Central Station in Manhattan. The White Plains station and the campus are both served by the Westchester County Bus System ("The Bee-Line"). In addition, the University offers a "Ram-Van" shuttle among the three campuses. Westchester County Airport is the closest to this campus, at a drive of approximately 60NaN0.
The Louis Calder Center is Fordham's biological field station for ecological research and environmental education. Located 30miles north of New York City in Armonk, New York, it is the only exclusively ecological research field station in the New York metropolitan area. The station consists of 114acres forested with a 10acres lake and 19 buildings, which are used for laboratory and office space, educational programs, equipment storage, and residences. The station's state-of-the-art equipment, research library, greenhouses, and housing are available for research and educational programs for students, faculty, and visiting scientists.
The Beijing International MBA Program (BiMBA) is a joint venture between a consortium of Jesuit Colleges and Universities in the United States and Peking University and is managed by Fordham University and the China Center for Economic Research (CCER) BiMBA was founded in 1998 and is located on the campus of Peking University in Beijing, People's Republic of China. BiMBA enrolls over 400 students a year in traditional part-time and full-time MBA programs, and in Executive MBA (EMBA) programs. It offers the first foreign MBA degree to be approved by the Chinese government, and was ranked number 1 in China by Fortune Magazine.
London Drama Academy (LDA) at Fordham's Kensington-area London Centre offers classes on British acting, using a primarily practical approach. The Academy was founded in the 1970s by Marymount College and a group of tutors from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA). Today it offers semester- and year-long sessions, with classes taught by working RADA-trained theater professionals.
The London Dramatic Academy is currently headed by Richard Digby Day.
Fordham's College of Business Administration has held marketing classes in the Centre since 2005, and a range of courses during the spring semester since 2008. Fordham College at Lincoln Center will begin holding summer classes at the London Centre in June, 2009.
There are many student activities at Fordham, including the following.
The University supports 22 men's and women's varsity teams and a number of club teams, plus a significant intramural sports program. The Fordham Rams are members of NCAA Division I and compete in the Atlantic 10 Conference in all sports except football. In football, the Rams play in the Patriot League of NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision. The Rams were the 2002 Patriot League co-champions, and captured the 2007 Patriot League title outright.
Fordham athletics gained early fame for college football in the beginning of the 20th century, particularly with the success of the famous "Seven Blocks of Granite". In addition, the University launched the careers of dozens of professional baseball players, including a Hall of Fame inductee, Frankie Frisch, known by the further-alliterative nickname, "The Fordham Flash."
Commonly known as The Ram, the student-staffed weekly newspaper of the Rose Hill campus. The Ram is published and edited by Fordham students through University funding .
First published in 1918, the newspaper has been the University's official journal of record since its inception  . The Rams mission states it is devoted to serving both campus and community, acting as a means of club networking and cooperation and "providing a forum for the free and open exchange of ideas in service to the community and to act as a student advocate."
Though The Ram is the University's journal of record , the paper, a biweekly journal of commentary and review , and The Observer, the non-weekly journal of the University's Lincoln Center campus , are distributed university-wide.
The Ram has garnered a myriad of awards for outstanding college journalism and its achievement in the thorough coverage of the University's academic and athletic happenings throughout history. Many of The Ram staff go on to careers in New York City's worldwide news and media industry . Famous The Ram alumni include former Associated Press president & CEO Louis Boccardi; New York Times sportswriter Arthur Daley '26, who was the first sportswriter to win a Pulitzer Prize ; author (and Arthur's son) Robert Daley, '51; sports announcer Vin Scully, '49; Emmy Award-winning news anchor Shiela Stainback, '72 ; and New York Times writer and columnist Jim Dwyer, '79.
Fordham University's award-winning student newspaper, published from the Lincoln Center campus since 1981. The Observer’s circulation also reaches Fordham’s Rose Hill Campus in the Bronx, making it available to all the students in the University’s undergraduate colleges and graduate schools. It is Lincoln Center’s fourth paper, after “The Curved Horn”, which moved from Rose Hill in 1968, “The Review” and “Evex”. Sections include News, Opinions, Arts and Culture, soft news Features, Literary and Sports.
Awards received by the Observer include: First place in 2008 and honorable mention in 2007 at the National College Newspaper’s 2008 Convention in San Francisco, in the category of Four Year Non-Weekly, First Place, Most Outstanding University Newspaper for 2005-2006 and 2006-2007, American Scholastic Press Association, Second place in the Associated Collegiate Press’ 2005 Newspaper of the Year Contest, First place in the American Scholastic Press Association’s 2005 Newspaper Review, Third place in Editorial in the New York Press Association’s 2004 Better Newspaper Contest, and Third place in both Photography and Editorial in the New York Press Association’s 2003 Better Newspaper Contest. Alex Palomino, Ali Watts, Craig Calefate and Charlotte Canner received the Region 1 Mark of Excellence Award for Sports Photography from the Society of Professional Journalists in 2008.
For a list of notable former editors, see List of Fordham University people.
In 1982, the American Parliamentary Debate Association (APDA), Inc. was founded at Fordham, during a tournament called the "Fordham Fandango." FDS is still very active on APDA, and regularly places among the top teams in the country. The team competes weekly on APDA, but also occasionally attends international tournaments, ranking well in the World Universities Debating Championship standings.
Global Outreach! (commonly known as GO!), is a student led, university sponsored organization dedicated to educating students about issues of social justice and individual responsibility through service trips to global and domestic locations. Separate programs on each campus currently sponsor 27 annual trips ranging from Thailand to East New York, and dealing with such diverse issues as public health, affordable housing, migrant labor, and disaster relief.
The Military Science program is available to Fordham undergraduate and graduate students regardless of their course of study, as well as to students at over 50 other New York area colleges and universities. It includes the Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) program, as well as military science classes and extracurricular activities.
The Army ROTC Battalion at Fordham University has its roots training cadets in the late 1840s before it was officially established as a formal program in 1926. It has since been the Army ROTC headquarters for the New York City region. Among the notable graduates of the Fordham ROTC Battalion (though not necessarily of Fordham University) include former Secretary of State Colin Powell, four-star General John M. Keane, and at least four recipients of the Medal of Honor. The battalion has been distinguished as being in the top fifteen percent of the United State's Army ROTC programs.
The Philip H. McGrath House of Prayer is located in Goshen, NY, and is used exclusively for Fordham's Retreat Ministries. The McGrath House is situated in a rural, residential area about seventy miles northwest of Fordham's Rose Hill campus.
The McGrath House has facilities for a large group of students and retreat coordinators to stay overnight while participating in a Fordham Retreat. Fordham Campus Ministry regularly hosts non-compulsory retreats at the McGrath House, including Emmaus, Kairos, Charis, Global Outreach Retreats, and other specialized retreats.
See main article: List of Fordham University people.
Among the notable people who have attended Fordham are:
This list is intended as a sampling
Magenta was Fordham's original color, but Harvard used the same color. A series of baseball games between the two was to determine the right to use it. Harvard, despite having lost the competition, continued to use the color. Therefore, Fordham eventually changed its official color to maroon. (Harvard subsequently also abandoned magenta, though in favor of crimson.)
The ram evolved into Fordham's mascot and symbol from a slightly vulgar cheer that Fordham fans sang during an 1893 football game against the United States Military Academy at West Point. The students began cheering "One-damn, two-damn, three-damn...Fordham!" The song was an instant hit, but "damn" was later sanitized to "Ram" to conform to the university's image. 
The "Victory Bell", which is mounted outside the Rose Hill Gym, is from the Japanese aircraft carrier Junyō. According to the plaque below the bell, it was recovered near Saipan where it was "silenced by an aerial Bomb." It was given to Fordham as a gift by Admiral Chester W. Nimitz "as a Memorial to Our Dear Young Dead of World War II." It was blessed by Cardinal Spellman, and "was first rung at Fordham by the President of the United States, the Honorable Harry S. Truman on May 11, 1946, the Charter Centenary of the University." It is rung by each Fordham senior player after victorious home football games and its ringing also marks the start of the commencement ceremonies each May. A small group of students rang the bell on the 50th anniversary of Pearl Harbor in honor of the war dead.
The Great Seal of Fordham University bears the Society of Jesus coat of arms at the center. The shield bears the Greek letters of the name Jesus, IHS, with the cross resting in the horizontal line of the letter "H", three nails beneath (evoking those used in the crucifixion of Jesus), all in gold in a field framed in maroon, the color of the University, with silver fleurs-de-lis (reminiscent of the French origin of the first Jesuit instructors) on the edge of the maroon frame. Beneath the shield, a scroll with the University's motto in latin, Sapienta et Doctrina (Wisdom and Learning), is etched. The scroll rests on a field in which tongues of fire are displayed, recalling the outpouring of the Holy Spirit of Wisdom that marked the first Pentecost. A upright laurel above the shield has within engraved the names of the disciplines that were taught when the school was granted university status in 1907: arts, science, philosophy, medicine, and law. Surrounding the entire seal is a heraldic belt, which has engraved the name of the school in Latin, Universitas Fordhamensis, and year of founding.
The University annually presents a concert of Lessons and Carols during the Christmas holiday season. The ensemble university choir presents one evening concert at the large and dramatic Church of Saint Paul the Apostle adjacent to the Lincoln Center Campus, and one afternoon concert at the more humble and intimate University Church at the Rose Hill Campus, each year.
Since 1910, when the Rev. Edward P. Tivnan, SJ, installed a seismograph in the basement of the administration building at the Rose Hill Campus, Fordham has been the site of the oldest seismic station in New York City. William Spain Seismic Observatory has since measured much of the world's natural and unnatural trembling, including earthquakes, China's first atomic explosion in 1964, and local subway trains.
The station opened in 1924 and sits at the edge of Edward's Parade in the center of the campus, next to Freeman Hall, home of the department of physics. It is named in honor of a physics student who died in 1922 and whose father donated the funds to build the station.
Fordham College at Rose Hill annually stages an Encaenia on an evening near the conclusion of the academic year. Faculty, administrators, and students process in academic regalia to a ceremony where candidates for degrees at the current year's commencement are presented awards and honors. The ceremony includes a sentimental speech by the college's valedictorian, as well as the traditionally more humorous yet equally endearing speech by the honorary "Lord" or "Lady of the Manor" selected for the evening.
This is an introductory listing, and may reflect only a portion of the many affiliations the University maintains.
Fordham University is affiliated with the following:
It is an accredited member of:
The University is also a member of:
The Fordham University campus was used as a filming location for a number of movies: Awake, A Beautiful Mind, A Bronx Tale, Center Stage, Cheerleaders Beach Party, The Exorcist, The Gambler, The Iron Major, Kinsey, Love Story, Quiz Show, The Verdict, and Solitary Man. Rev. William O'Malley, a Jesuit and professor at Fordham Prep, played Father Dyer in The Exorcist. The film's language lab scene was filmed in Keating Hall, and the bedroom scene was filmed in Hughes Hall.
Television shows filmed at Fordham consist of Shattered Vows, a 1984 made for TV movie starring Valerie Bertinelli who played the true story of a young nun in the turbulent 60's who goes to Fordham for her master's and falls in love with a priest, ultimately leaving the order, Naked City (episode: Tombstone for a Derelict, 4/5/61; then-unknown Robert Redford plays a Neo-Nazi student), Ras Trent (SNL Digital Short, 10/25/08, featured the Lincoln Center Dorms, Classrooms, and Plaza), and a U2 performance at Edwards Parade for the March 6, 2009 episode of Good Morning America.
Fictional alumni of Fordham include the title character of Michael Clayton, Michael Patrick Flaherty of Spin City, Annie Norris of Life on Mars, Vinnie Terranova of Wiseguy, and Bruno Tattaglia of The Godfather.