|Neighboring Municipalities:||Pontresina, Samedan, Sankt-Moritz|
It is located in the upper Engadin valley. The village is located between St. Moritz, Samedan and Pontresina. The famous Cresta Run for tobogganing leads from St.Moritz to the Cresta neighborhood of Celerina. The place is first mentioned in documents dating to 1320.
The municipality's official name used to be Celerina, until 1943, when it adopted the name Schlarigna/Celerina. In 1950, it was renamed again to Celerina/Schlarigna. As Celerina/Schlarigna is located at the edge of the plain where the Flaz river (coming from the Bernina Pass) meets the Inn, this is the widest part of the Engadin valley, making Celerina the sunniest spot in the upper Engadin valley. Unlike its more famous neighboring town to the south (St.Moritz) Celerina has retained many historic buildings in its town center, many dating back to the 17th century. The town has three historic churches, the small romanesque church in Cresta, the gothic church of San Gian (current structure dating to 1478, but based on a chapell at least 400 years older than that) in the middle of the plain, and the baroque style, 1669 Bel Taimpel in the heart of the village.
Formerly a farming village, over the last few decades the importance of tourism has increased dramatically in Celerina/Schlarigna. There are no really big hotels, but a handful of medium and small hotels and inns, but the core tourisms stems from vacation apartments, both owner occupied second homes and temporary rentals. There is both summer and winter tourism. The winter season is more important. Summer guest enjoy hiking and mountaineering. Mountain biking has also become popular. Nearby there are also opportunities for golf, glider flying, swimming and hang-gliding. Winter sports include both Nordic and alpine skiing, bobsleigh, and skeleton (sport), (the famous Cresta Run ends in Celerina). There is a direct skiers gondola from Celerina into the heart of the St.Moritz ski area of Corviglia/Marguns, a major portion of which lies in the municipality of Celerina/Schlarigna.