The Capilla Real, or Royal Chapel, in Granada is a mausoleum that houses the remains of the Catholic Monarchs (Spanish; Castilian: Los Reyes Católicos), Don Fernando de Aragón and Doña Isabel de Castilla.
Granada was the last Moorish stronghold to fall, on January 2, 1492, as part of the Reconquest of Spain during the reign of the Catholic Kings, so the city was an important element in their success. On September 13, 1504, they decided they wanted their remains to be taken to Granada, and for this purpose a Royal Warrant was issued at Medina del Campo for a Royal Chapel to be built. It was constructed between 1505 and 1517 in the Gothic style and dedicated to St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist. Queen Isabella died the year before construction began, and King Ferdinand the year after, although their remains were not taken there until 1521.
As well as King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella, the chapel also holds the remains of their daughter Queen Juana (Joan the Mad), her husband Philip the Handsome (Spanish; Castilian: Felipe El Hermoso) and the Infante Miguel, their oldest grandson. There are also relics, portraits, tapestries, ornaments, Baroque sculptures and paintings in the Sacristy Museum.