|Head:||Thomas J. Sheehy|
|Coordinates:||country = USA|
|Campus:||Suburban, 150 acres (2 km²)|
|Colors:||Navy and Columbia Blue|
Canterbury School is a college preparatory, coeducational boarding and day school for students in Forms 3 through 6 (grades 9-12 and Post Grad). It is located in New Milford, Connecticut, United States, in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Hartford.
Canterbury was founded in 1915 on the aspiration of two men: Henry O Havemeyer, the descendant of the sugar refining family, and Nelson Hume, a Catholic schoolmaster. These men desired to establish a school that Roman Catholics could attend, be guided in their religion and prepared to attend universities like Yale, Harvard, Duke, MIT, Stanford and Princeton. .
The school was established in New Milford, CT on the location of the former Ingleside School for Girls. Nelson Hume became the first head master of the school. From its start with 16 enrolled students, Nelson Hume guided the school through two world wars and the great depression until his death in 1948. He was succeeded as headmaster by Walter Sheehan, by John Reydel in 1973, by Rodrick Clark in 1978 and Thomas Sheehy in 1990.
Canterbury became co-educational in the fall of 1971. The school now enrolls over 300 boarding and day students on its campus on The Hill in New Milford.
Old School House facilitates the language and history departments. The majority of language and history classes will be held in this building. Canterbury offers Spanish, French, and Latin as foreign languages.
Hume Building facilitates the theology and mathematic departments on the upper level, and the science department on the lower level. The Hume building also houses Canterbury's McGuire Auditorium on the upper level.
Steele Hall facilitates the library on the upper level, and the business office and a lecture room on the lower level. In addition, the school dining hall and cafeteria is located on the lower level of Steele.
Duffy House contains art space and studios renovated from the old dinning hall.
Old Gym the old gym first floor space has been renovated for music class rooms and rehearsal space.
Canterbury School has 8 residence halls that provides housing for about 250 students. Each residence hall contains faculty apartments that range from in size from town houses to smaller one bedroom suites. Canterbury also has built single family homes on campus, providing housing for some faculty; such as the Headmasters House, located on the corner of Aspetuck Avenue and Elkington Farm Road. Though they are not currently used to house students, from time to time Canterbury has roomed students in faculty residences.
Sheehan House (nee Middle House) Named for Canterbury’s Second headmaster is located in center of the lower campus. Simply referred to a "Sheehan" by students, it houses upper form Boys, and two fourth formers.
Carter House (née South House) is located on the lower campus and houses upper form girls.
Duffy House (née North House) is located on the northern end of the lower campus houses lower form girls. It contains a faculty town house on the western end of the building, in space that was converted from administrative offices.
Hickory Hearth is at the southern end of the lower campus and provides space for 6 students and 3 faculty members.
Havemeyer Hall is located on the upper campus and houses middle form boys. Two faculty town houses bookend the dorm.
Carmody Hall is located on the upper campus and houses lower form boys. Two faculty town houses bookend the dorm.
South House a newly constructed building on the lower campus between Hickory Hearth and Carter House that houses upper form girls.
Ingleside serves as the health center and dormitory which currently houses twelve girls.
Chapel of Our Lady Built in 1930s and expanded in 1960, the chapel can seat the student body. The bottom floor of the chapel also contains a classroom. Its impressive stained glass windows have been recently restored. The chapel carrilon is named for alumnus Mel Ferrer, '34
Chaplin Residence is the oldest building on campus and has had various uses including acting as Canterbury’s 1st chapel.
The New Athletic Facility contains the Draddy Hockey Arena (1975), 5 squash courts, the field house (basketball courts), weight room, and a wrestling room.
Located across the drive from the athletic facility is the Pigott Basketball Arena which also contains additional locker facilities.
Higgins Aquatic Center, opened in the fall of 2008, provides a new 8 lane 25 yard pool and diving facility.
Outdoor facilities include 8 tennis courts, a track, seven multi-purpose playing fields and 4 baseball/softball diamonds.
Located in the basement of Steele Hall, Canterbury offers a full service dining hall preparing breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily. All meals are prepared under the direction of a Culinary Institute of America chef.
When founded in 1915, Nelson Hume believed that physical activity was an important component in the education of his students. Canterbury carries that tradition on, expecting students to participate in a sport each season at level appropriate with their skills. Canterbury fields teams and competes against other schools at the Varsity, Junior Varsity, 3rd Team and sometime 4th team level.