For other Boughtons in Kent see Boughton Aluph; Boughton under Blean and Boughton Malherbe The village and civil parish of Boughton Monchelsea is in the Maidstone District of Kent, England. The civil parish lies on a ragstone ridge situated between the North Downs and the Weald of Kent and has commonly been called Quarry Hills. The village itself is located three miles (5km) south of Maidstone.
Some of the earliest history of Boughton Monchelsea is in the Iron Age settlement at Quarry Wood Camp (Camp Field). There are traces of an outer rampart on Parsonage Farm (on the edge of Park Wood) constructed by the Belgae about 40 AD possibly as a defence against the Roman invasion in 43 AD.
The foundations of a Roman bathhouse were discovered in 1841 near Brishing Court, also a Roman villa at Brishing and a cemetery at Lockham. The Quarries were worked extensively in Romans times and the villa and bathhouse could well have belonged to the quarry owner. Ragstone (a type of sandstone was worked here; stone for building of Westminster Abbey and the repair of Rochester Castle came from here. The last quarry closed in 1960.
The village church, dedicated to St Peter, was built around 1100.
The 16th-century Elizabethan stone-built former manor house, Boughton Monchelsea Place  , is situated in a private deer park and remains a private dwelling although it is occasionally opened for commercial use as a venue for weddings and business conferences.
A similar property at nearby Wierton Place has in recent years operated as a polo and country club as well as an exclusive out-of-town nightclub. Prior to that it was the official residence of judges when on circuit at Maidstone Court  .
Graham Clarke, author, illustrator and humorist, lives in the village.