Year 1764 (MDCCLXIV) was a leap year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a leap year starting on Thursday of the 11-day slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1764
January - June
July - December
- February 11 - Marie-Joseph Chénier, French poet (d. 1811)
- March 13 - Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (d. 1845)
- April 3 - John Abernethy, English surgeon (d. 1831)
- April 13 - Laurent, Marquis de Gouvion Saint-Cyr, French marshal (d. 1830)
- May 5 - Robert Craufurd, British general (d. 1812)
- May 26 - Edward Livingston, American jurist and statesman (d. 1836)
- June 21 - Sidney Smith, British admiral (d. 1840)
- August 13 - Louis Baraguey d'Hilliers, French general (d. 1813)
- December 7 - Claude Victor-Perrin, duc de Belluno, Marshal of France (d. 1841)
See also .
- March 6 - Philip Yorke, 1st Earl of Hardwicke, Lord Chancellor of England (b. 1690)
- March 17 - George Parker, 2nd Earl of Macclesfield, English astronomer (b. c.1696)
- March 30 - Pietro Locatelli, Italian composer (b. 1695)
- April 15 - Madame de Pompadour, mistress of King Louis XV of France (b. 1721)
- April 17 - Johann Mattheson, German composer (b. 1681)
- May 3 - Francesco Algarotti, Italian philosopher (b. 1712)
- June 29 - Ralph Allen, English businessman and politician (b. 1693)
- July 7 - William Pulteney, 1st Earl of Bath, English politician (b. 1683)
- July 16 - Tsar Ivan VI (murdered in prison) (b. 1740)
- July 23 - Gilbert Tennent, Irish-born religious leader (b. 1703)
- September 2 - Nathaniel Bliss, English Astronomer Royal (b. 1700)
- September 12 - Jean-Philippe Rameau, French composer (b. 1683)
- September 23 - Robert Dodsley, English writer (b. 1703)
- September 26 - Benito Jerónimo Feijóo y Montenegro, Spanish scholar (b. 1676)
- October 2 - William Cavendish, 4th Duke of Devonshire, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- October 23 - Emmanuel-Auguste de Cahideuc, Comte Dubois de la Motte, French naval officer (b. 1683)
- November 20 - Christian Goldbach, Prussian mathematician (b. 1690)
- Joseph Dupleix - French governor general at Pondicherry.
See also .
1764 In Fiction
- Birth of Heathcliff from Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights.