Year 1608 was a leap year starting on Tuesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a leap year starting on Friday of the 10-day slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1608
January - June
July - December
- July 3 - Quebec City is founded by Samuel de Champlain.
- July - The English ship Mary and Margaret, captained by Christopher Newport, leaves England bound for Jamestown, Virginia.
- August 24 - The first official English representative to India lands at Surat.
- September 10 - John Smith is elected council president of Jamestown, and begins expanding the fort.
- September 21 - The University of Oviedo, Spain is founded.
- October 1 - At Jamestown, a second supply ship, the Mary and Margaret, arrives with Christopher Newport, including 70 settlers, bringing the population back up to 120; the passengers include 8 glassmen.
- October 2 - Dutch lens maker Hans Lippershey demonstrates the first telescope in the Dutch parliament.
- December - Jamestown: Christopher Newport returns to England carrying cargo with "tryals of Pitch, Tarre, Glasse, Frankincense, Sope Ashes ..."
- January 28 - Giovanni Alfonso Borelli, Italian physiologist and physicist (d. 1679)
- February 6 - Antonio Vieira, Portuguese writer (d. 1697)
- April 25 - Gaston, Duke of Orléans, third son of King Henry IV of France (d. 1660)
- June - Richard Fanshawe, English diplomat (d. 1666)
- July 13 - Ferdinand III, Holy Roman Emperor (d. 1657)
- July 14 - George Goring, Lord Goring, English Royalist soldier (d. 1657)
- October 15 - Evangelista Torricelli, Italian physicist and mathematician (d. 1647)
- December 6 - George Monck, 1st Duke of Albemarle, English soldier (d. 1670)
- December 9 - John Milton, English poet (d. 1674)
- date unknown
- January 29 - Frederick I, Duke of Württemberg (b. 1557)
- February 13
- February 26 - John Still, English bishop (b. c. 1543)
- March 12 - Koriki Kiyonaga, Japanese warlord (b. 1530)
- April 19 - Thomas Sackville, 1st Earl of Dorset, English statesman and poet (b. 1536)
- May 14 - Charles III, Duke of Lorraine (b. 1543)
- June 19 - Alberico Gentili, Italian jurist (b. 1551)
- July 18 - Joachim Friedrich, Elector of Brandenburg (b. 1546)
- August 1 - Rory O'Donnell, 1st Earl of Tyrconnell (b. 1575)
- August 13 - Giambologna, Italian sculptor (b. 1529)
- October 11 - Giovanni Ambrogio Figino, Italian painter (b. c. 1549)
- October 19
- date unknown
- "first Germans at Jamestown 1" (history), Davitt Publications, 2000, webpage: GHfirst.