- Åhus, Sweden gains city privileges.
- King Sverker I of Sweden is deposed and succeeded by Eric IX of Sweden.
- The city of Airdrie, Scotland is founded.
- The title Earl of Bedford is created in England.
- Cubbie Roo's Castle is built on Wyre, Orkney.
- The Mersey Ferry begins running between Liverpool and Birkenhead.
- Christchurch Priory is founded in Dorset, England.
- Castle Rising is built in Norfolk, England by William d'Aubigny, 1st Earl of Arundel.
- The University of Paris, now known as the Sorbonne, is founded.
- The Tuam is promoted to a Metropolitan Archdiocese in Ireland.
- The Bishopric of Aberdeen is established.
- Christian Malone writes his Irish Chronology (Chronicum Scotorum).
- The city of Neuruppin is founded in Brandenburg, Germany.
- The city of Rinteln is founded in Lower Saxony, Germany.
- Albrecht the Bear inhabits Brandenburg.
- Middle Dutch begins to be spoken in what is now Benelux.
- Peter the Lombard publishes Sentences.
- Garcia IV Ramirez ends his reign as King of Navarre.
The temple at Angkor Wat is completed in Khmer (present-day Cambodia).